Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dilema is the 3.5" ARP studs stick out way too damn far out of my stock wheels... I have open ended lug nuts and the studs stick out ~1.1" out of wheel.... The ARP 3.5" are ~ 1.7" longer then stock studs.

While I was looking at pics of my old 00R's that I don't have anymore.. I noticed that the stock wheel studs were hardly visible... This got me thinking that perhaps a wheel like the 00R will hide these huge studs..

I'm interested to see how I can figure out what wheels will enable this to happen without having to physically try them on. I have access to 03 Cobra wheels and I plan on trying them out since I would love to get the 10.5" rears.

Any ideas.. I've been brainstorming all night and talking to some people and I think this can be done. I don't want another 18" wheel like the R but I am wanting to see what specs I need to look for in other wheels.

Sorry for the long post.. Just looking for ideas.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somebody has to have an idea..

The AFS 03 wheels are as follows..

17x9, +26m. offset and 6.11" BS
17x10.5, +29mm offset and 6.9" BS

I measured the distance of a set of 17x9" 03 wheels on my friends car and it seems as if my studs would still stick out of them... However, I am curious on what a 10.5" would do?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a set of Y2KR's. If the studs are 1.7" longer than stock, then they will still stick out. I don't see how the offset or backspacing will impact on this. What you want to know is how recessed the mounting holes are compared to the face of the wheel.

Questions is, don't you have the cart in front of the horse? Why not get shorter wheel studs?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree... I am looking to see what wheels have a thicker center section similar to what the 00R's had...

I had a friend do some measuring with his 00R's and it would help hide the ARP 3.5" studs... The stock 03 Cobra wheels hide them much better then the 01 wheel since it has a thicker center section (whatever you want to call it). From the pictures I have seen of the 10.5" 03 wheel.. It definitely has a thicker center...

I run custom made Bogarts at the track... To be legal I need longer wheel studs... Changing the length of the stud is not an option so I really don't feel like discussing that side of it. I'm using the excuse of my studs sticking out to convince the woman I need new wheels :)

Shawn

ScarSnake said:
I have a set of Y2KR's. If the studs are 1.7" longer than stock, then they will still stick out. I don't see how the offset or backspacing will impact on this. What you want to know is how recessed the mounting holes are compared to the face of the wheel.

Questions is, don't you have the cart in front of the horse? Why not get shorter wheel studs?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The AFS 10.5" wheels should swallow them. I'm gonna run out and measure end of stock stud to the 'face' of the hole...

Well - maybe not.

Where the holes are, the face is tapered. At the shallowest point I measured about 1 1/2" from the top of the stock stud to the face of the wheel. On the outboard 'deeper' end it measured just over 2".

I don't think it'd look bad out back. If you have the long studs up front too than they'll definately stick out. I measured about 3/4" from the top of the stud to the face.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shawn,

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I'm definitely going to get the wheels then..... I can trim the dead portion of the studs out front and get them to look pretty damn good if I got 3/4" or so!

You rock!

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Glad to help. Mine are the 18x9 and 18x10.5 but I think the backspace etc is the same.

Shawn

·
Registered
343 Posts
What about just using a wheel spacer? I've seen them as wide as 35mm (1 3/8"). The H&R and Eibach ones are hubcentric as well. Plus you'll get the benefit of a somewhat wider track.

I know you're using the wheel studs as an excuse to upgrade wheels. But, the spacers might make a good Plan B....you know, just in case the woman decides that the wheel upgrade is a good excuse to upgrade men (ie trade you in for a newer model)! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts