Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Does anyone know if you had a 351w in 69-70, what would've been the biggest stroker build possible in that time period? I know now days, with a 69-70 block you can get it out to 427 (most would recommend the 408.) Were these configurations used then or smaller ones? If you theoretically were going to do a "period correct" modified build, what would be the stoutest bottom end possible for an engine during this time?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
There were no stroker cranks back then, none. There was no aftermarket to speak of in the 60's or 70's, just some businesses building special race parts for race teams. Nothing a civilian could get easily, we had to work with basically stock parts, and various intake/carb/piston choices.

In the late 70's and 80's people began trying more swaps of existing OEM parts, like the 400 crank into the 351W block. I had a friend who ran a 408 Windsor in the 80's, first in a 69 Mustang, and later in his old Bronco daily driver. He never used Cleveland heads on a Windsor though, I suggested that to him when I met him in 1987. That was after his hot rodding days, he never got back to anything special again.

Reactions: 327blwn

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
the biggest 351w type strokers im aware of from the mid/late 60's was the can-am stuff... 393w ci ... 4.085" max bore, 3.750" max stroke

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
back in those days if you wanted a stroker motor you had to either have a custom crank made, or you had yours welded and offset ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.