Ford Mustang Forums banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,125 Posts
...the Boss block is actually not worth a ton of money in restorations unless you have the correct die set to stamp the correct code for your VIN, build date, etc on the front of the block - many people have it but for LilRed86 it is sentimental value for a lost loved one...Totally respect that...
Your exactly right brother! My Boss block has my uncle's vin stamped in it so it stays with me because of him. I'm going to build a high RPM NA stroker with it to go in my 86 coupe. There will be a build thread coming soon...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Your exactly right brother! My Boss block has my uncle's vin stamped in it so it stays with me because of him. I'm going to build a high RPM NA stroker with it to go in my 86 coupe. There will be a build thread coming soon...
That's nice, and try to make it similar to the original 302 Boss. That means Cleveland 4V heads, higher rpm than mild builds, and big power. A stroker would just bump the power at all rpm, Cleveland 4V heads can support 7500rpm in a 347 easily.

Reactions: LilRed86

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That's nice, and try to make it similar to the original 302 Boss. That means Cleveland 4V heads, higher rpm than mild builds, and big power. A stroker would just bump the power at all rpm, Cleveland 4V heads can support 7500rpm in a 347 easily.
I still got the Boss 302 heads also. Just finding a suitable intake that fits a 8.2 block and Boss heads is the problem.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Very nice, those heads are also special as a Boss part. They are already cut for adjustable rockers, but they need new valve seats installed, hardened for unleaded fuel.

For the intake, I would look for some old large single plane aftermarket or FMS made for the Boss 302. It may take something aftermarket 302 and use intake spacers, which may mean cutting the intake and spacers to work together. The spacers to use on the taller blocks were most common, you could put a 302 or 351W intake on a Cleveland block or 400 block. I'm not very familiar with the spacers, I've seen them online many times but never read into much beyond the Cleveland or Windsor versions.

A tunnel ram with some decent port length might be best, even a flat long runner dual carb part may be good depending on your plans for the carb and hood etc.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Very nice, those heads are also special as a Boss part. They are already cut for adjustable rockers, but they need new valve seats installed, hardened for unleaded fuel.

For the intake, I would look for some old large single plane aftermarket or FMS made for the Boss 302. It may take something aftermarket 302 and use intake spacers, which may mean cutting the intake and spacers to work together. The spacers to use on the taller blocks were most common, you could put a 302 or 351W intake on a Cleveland block or 400 block. I'm not very familiar with the spacers, I've seen them online many times but never read into much beyond the Cleveland or Windsor versions.

A tunnel ram with some decent port length might be best, even a flat long runner dual carb part may be good depending on your plans for the carb and hood etc.
Lol...trust me..a tunnel ram popped in my mind but that would be making to much of a statement. The 69 trans am team's ran low profile dual 1050 dominator intakes! I'm not new to building engines and drag racing, been doing it since I was 14. I've always built my own stuff,engine, trans and rears. Actually the block and heads are fully machined already. My best friend happens to own a machine shop with about 2-3 million dollars in equipment he lets me play in.I'm weighing my options but it will be 350+ci though...lol

·
Old timer
6,276 Posts

:devilish:

·
Registered
430 Posts
$2,099 last I checked. Honestly if it means not having to tear down your stock block when it blows and replacing a rotating assembly or pair of cylinder heads, Id say its worth it if you are making big power. By that Id say anything about 450Ib of torque (which is what really destoys the blocks is torque). Plus RPM’s.
not a bad price at all, last one i got, i opted for billet caps and big bore... i havent priced one lately but the last one i got was a little over 3500 to my door... now i did NOT get it from dart... i got it from another independent shop and had it honed and cam bearings/frost plugs installed.... also cleaned. i understand what i had got done to it pushed it a little over the base price you can get one for..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I know it would be a dog on the street but the wow factor alone would be killer!!
The 1969 Trans Am intake with dual 1050 holleys
Gas Machine Auto part Nickel Metal

101 - 115 of 115 Posts