Ford Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Old timer
6,276 Posts
The Evil Twin!! What happened to the twin??
Ryan Mally in Florida has the Hot Streeter. I'm restoring and updating the Evil Twin with a "parts bin" 289 engine, G-Force transmission and trying for a Drag Week event in the future.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Amazing how this thread changed but I think it turned out well for a great read

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,127 Posts
Love to see this passion for the Fox body. When I was first comming up on driving age I wanted a classic mustang because the new 5.0L Fox body had no soul and anybody could buy one. Times have changed and I’ve grown a love and appreciation for the Fox body and all the performance gains it brought to our small block Ford. Thank you!!!
I was in the same boat as you, grew up LOVING classic Mustangs. The foxbodys were ok but to new for me. My uncle had a 70 Boss 302, Wimbledon white drag pack 4.30 geared. Every Sunday after church he'd come to our house and take me for a ride in that car. Burned in my memory is of him powershifting that Hurst T handle shifter and watching that Sun tach go pass 7000rpm on every shift!

Fast forward to 1990 and I'm 16 wanting a 70 fastback like you wouldn't believe!! Me and my dad looked high and low for one in my price range ($3000.) which I had worked my butt off for since i was 14 but no luck, all to far gone for me to restore at that age. Then that fateful day of July 14, I had the opportunity of a lifetime to buy a 1986 5.0 AOD 3.27 geared coupe from the original owner. I didn't want it at first because it was a AOD but it was a 5.0 and i was 16 wanting a V8 mustang BADLY!!! So I bought it and it's been a big part of my life ever since!! Still love driving the wheels off of it!!

This is right after the 5 speed swap. Bought that Pistol Grip handle from the back pages of MM&FF. 2nd pic is the first day i bought it.
Gear shift Vehicle Speedometer Car Odometer

Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light

17 with 5.0 mustang!! Couldn't tell me nothing...lol
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Photograph

As she sits today in matte black getting ready for a fresh coat of Viper Red over the winter.
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel

My uncle's Boss 302 was gave to his son, my IDIOT cousin, which in turn almost killed himself in the car rolling and flipping it 6-7 times racing someone!! The car was mangled beyond reconigtion or repair!! My uncle became ill with cancer last year and he gave me this a few weeks before he passed away, (RIP uncle Jimmy ❤) It will be going in my 86 coupe real soon....
Wood Gas Font Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ryan Mally in Florida has the Hot Streeter. I'm restoring and updating the Evil Twin with a "parts bin" 289 engine, G-Force transmission and trying for a Drag Week event in the future.

Thats awesome that you guys still own them and you will be hitting the road with yours Ed!!

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT
11 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, grew up LOVING classic Mustangs. The foxbodys were ok but to new for me. My uncle had a 70 Boss 302, Wimbledon white drag pack 4.30 geared. Every Sunday after church he'd come to our house and take me for a ride in that car. Burned in my memory is of him powershifting that Hurst T handle shifter and watching that Sun tach go pass 7000rpm on every shift!

Fast forward to 1990 and I'm 16 wanting a 70 fastback like you wouldn't believe!! Me and my dad looked high and low for one in my price range ($3000.) which I had worked my butt off for since i was 14 but no luck, all to far gone for me to restore at that age. Then that fateful day of July 14, I had the opportunity of a lifetime to buy a 1986 5.0 AOD 3.27 geared coupe from the original owner. I didn't want it at first because it was a AOD but it was a 5.0 and i was 16 wanting a V8 mustang BADLY!!! So I bought it and it's been a big part of my life ever since!! Still love driving the wheels off of it!!
View attachment 1076800 View attachment 1076801 View attachment 1076802

17 with 5.0 mustang!! Couldn't tell me nothing...lol View attachment 1076803
My uncle's Boss 302 was gave to his son, my IDIOT cousin, which in turn almost killed himself in the car rolling and flipping it 6-7 times racing someone!! The car was mangled beyond reconigtion or repair!! My uncle became ill with cancer last year and he gave me this a few weeks before he passed away, (RIP uncle Jimmy ❤) It will be going in my 86 coupe real soon.... View attachment 1076804
'70 Mustang drag cars were my favorite for a long
Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
time. Back in '71 when I was 5, Dad owned the Jack Roush 'Fastbacks' SS/HA Cobra Jet. He won about every week at Wayne Trail Dragway.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
'70 Mustang drag cars were my favorite for a long View attachment 1076811 View attachment 1076811 time. Back in '71 when I was 5, Dad owned the Jack Roush 'Fastbacks' SS/HA Cobra Jet. He won about every week at Wayne Trail Dragway.
Wow.....now that is way cool!! Where's the CJ now?? Quick story, when me and my dad was out looking for me a 70 fastback, came across a beat to death 69 fastback. It was in red faded primer, engine long gone but trans and rear was there. As soon as I lifted the hood, that damn drag pack oil cooler was staring me in my 15yr old face!! A damn R code 428SCJ 4 speed 4.30 Detroit locker rear. Guy wanted 5k for it and my dad said ' for that piece of junk?? Son, get in the truck. To say the least, I really wanted it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow....I still love me a 70 fastback mustang!!! Love them Keystone mag wheels also!!
I love the 69- 70 Fastbacks too. Looked at a 69 Mach I 351-w with a FMX trans back in 92. Almost bought it for $3,500 bucks. Had repo 1/4 panels installed over the originals. They never cut off the original 1/4's. Paint was gross. Ended up buying my 85 G.T. which I still have today. The 70 Fastbacks I still love the best. Just out of my price range.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I do like the 65-66 fastback, shoot come to think of It, all the fastbacks looked good!! I just got hooked on the 70 model because of my uncle Jimmys 70 Boss 302.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I love the 69- 70 Fastbacks too. Looked at a 69 Mach I 351-w with a FMX trans back in 92. Almost bought it for $3,500 bucks. Had repo 1/4 panels installed over the originals. They never cut off the original 1/4's. Paint was gross. Ended up buying my 85 G.T. which I still have today. The 70 Fastbacks I still love the best. Just out of my price range.
Man....i know what mean by out of price range!! Basket cases and they want 10k!! I love the look of your 85 GT!! What color is that? More pics of that beauty please!! I take it she's got a 352 stroker?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man....i know what mean by out of price range!! Basket cases and they want 10k!! I love the look of your 85 GT!! What color is that? More pics of that beauty please!! I take it she's got a 352 stroker?
Yes has a stock block 352 stroker, Pic from last summer at New England Dragway, Epping N.H. my home track. 11.20's @ 122 mph. Driven 2 1/2 hrs to the track.Color is 1994 Ford Lapius Blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes has a stock block 352 stroker, Pic from last summer at New England Dragway, Epping N.H. my home track. 11.20's @ 122 mph. Driven 2 1/2 hrs to the track.Color is 1994 Ford Lapius Blue.
Nice!! I'm gonna take the Boss 302 block my uncle gave me and stroke it also for my 86 coupe.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Nice!! I'm gonna take the Boss 302 block my uncle gave me and stroke it also for my 86 coupe.
I would probably sell the Boss block to someone restoring a Boss 302, the heads also if you had those. The rest is not that special, but those are very rare.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Usable '69-'70 BOSS blocks are worth A LOT of money for restorations. Enough to buy you a big bore Dart plus some more. I'd sell that so it's preserved for restoration and buy a proper race block. But awesoem story. Sorry the car got totaled. That sucks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Usable '69-'70 BOSS blocks are worth A LOT of money for restorations. Enough to buy you a big bore Dart plus some more. I'd sell that so it's preserved for restoration and buy a proper race block. But awesoem story. Sorry the car got totaled. That sucks.
back when we were running the stock block rule class racing, i went through 3 of the boss blocks.. averaged 700 or so per block... a big bore dart block is close to 3g no way they are worth that...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
back when we were running the stock block rule class racing, i went through 3 of the boss blocks.. averaged 700 or so per block... a big bore dart block is close to 3g no way they are worth that...
$2,099 last I checked. Honestly if it means not having to tear down your stock block when it blows and replacing a rotating assembly or pair of cylinder heads, Id say its worth it if you are making big power. By that Id say anything about 450Ib of torque (which is what really destoys the blocks is torque). Plus RPM’s.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
What year was that? How many other racers did the same? How many OE blocks are left now to choose from?

·
Registered
839 Posts
...the Boss block is actually not worth a ton of money in restorations unless you have the correct die set to stamp the correct code for your VIN, build date, etc on the front of the block - many people have it but for LilRed86 it is sentimental value for a lost loved one...Totally respect that...

81 - 100 of 122 Posts