Ford Mustang Forums banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT
9 Posts
It's neat looking at those old articles. I bought a foxbody that was built in the early 90's and then sat for 13 years.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
My friends keep trying to convince me to swap to the Holley digital dash. Hell no. I love my 200mph Saleen gauges too much. I went though hell to get them from Saleen. I ordered one of their last sets. I like the old school look!!!

Reactions: LilRed86 and SS BRP

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It's neat looking at those old articles. I bought a foxbody that was built in the early 90's and then sat for 13 years.
NO WAY! I am the BIGGEST fan of that car! I first saw it about 5/6 months ago and Ive been trying to hunt it down forever, got led to Bring a Trailer and that was it. That is the coolest find! Do you know more history on it, any plans for it? I saved every photo of it they had.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
That's it. Guy I bought it from just wanted the engine and trans. I'm keeping it just as it is but putting a 302 with a carb for now. Will be racing it at local Ford races, NMRA and NMCA.
Thats exactly how I would do it, keep it like it was. Id preserve it as best I can, Im glad youre doing something with it. Kind of a shame he took the guts out of it though. I would try to rebuild another period correct motor for it. Id even keep all the original stickers on it, keep the history alive.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
This thread brings back memories.

I bought my 90 lx new back in March of 90. I had ordered it with the options and colors I wanted. I think it was an 8-12 week wait. I had parts in my bedroom before the car came in lol. I used to run to the book store every month to buy the magazines.

Fast forward 31 years later, I still have the car. I went from N/A to Vortech B trim to S trim to single turbo. My latest combo is twin turbo.

Every time I think about selling the car, I can't get myself to do it. My son just started driving and wants the car. It is way too much car for most people, let alone a new driver.

I don't have to many pictures on my phone. It is a Saleen clone. I paid $13,800 plus tax for it. I think the real Saleens were going for 30-35k. They was no way I would pay that so I made my own.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Old timer
6,276 Posts

Still own this piece of Mustang history.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
This thread brings back memories.

I bought my 90 lx new back in March of 90. I had ordered it with the options and colors I wanted. I think it was an 8-12 week wait. I had parts in my bedroom before the car came in lol. I used to run to the book store every month to buy the magazines.

Fast forward 31 years later, I still have the car. I went from N/A to Vortech B trim to S trim to single turbo. My latest combo is twin turbo.

Every time I think about selling the car, I can't get myself to do it. My son just started driving and wants the car. It is way too much car for most people, let alone a new driver.

I don't have to many pictures on my phone. It is a Saleen clone. I paid $13,800 plus tax for it. I think the real Saleens were going for 30-35k. They was no way I would pay that so I made my own. View attachment 1076705
One part of me is saying you should pass the torch and let him enjoy it. The other part is saying hell no, he’ll wreck it.

I do ballsy things in both my mustangs but all throughout my childhood I raced go-karts, even competitively as a teenager so I know how to correct steering and react to certain red flags while driving on the edge. Other kids on the other hand dont know how to do any of that, one kid almost ran into me a month ago because he over-compensated for understeer and almost did a 180 into on-coming traffic right in front of me.
so 🤷🏼‍♂️ But thats a badass car, that would be a huge loss if something happened to it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
One part of me is saying you should pass the torch and let him enjoy it. The other part is saying hell no, he’ll wreck it.

I do ballsy things in both my mustangs but all throughout my childhood I raced go-karts, even competitively as a teenager so I know how to correct steering and react to certain red flags while driving on the edge. Other kids on the other hand dont know how to do any of that, one kid almost ran into me a month ago because he over-compensated for understeer and almost did a 180 into on-coming traffic right in front of me.
so 🤷🏼‍♂️ But thats a badass car, that would be a huge loss if something happened to it.
I'm wondering if my son seen this thread and posted here? 🤔 lol

I definitely have mixed feelings on him getting the car. In current trim the engine can do 1300-1400hp when cranked up. With 6lb wg springs, it will still make 700.

For me the car is easy to drive, but I built it and understand what needs to be done. Has a manual valve body aod with electric od. If you don't drive it properly, you can damage the transmission.

My son has driven it around the block, with me in the passenger set of course. He didn't get over 20mph 😄. He said the brakes weren't that good. Has Wilwood on all 4 corners, and will pull the car down from 150 without even trying with no brake fade. Again you just need to learn the car.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

Reactions: LilRed86

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I'm wondering if my son seen this thread and posted here? 🤔 lol

I definitely have mixed feelings on him getting the car. In current trim the engine can do 1300-1400hp when cranked up. With 6lb wg springs, it will still make 700.

For me the car is easy to drive, but I built it and understand what needs to be done. Has a manual valve body aod with electric od. If you don't drive it properly, you can damage the transmission.

My son has driven it around the block, with me in the passenger set of course. He didn't get over 20mph 😄. He said the brakes weren't that good. Has Wilwood on all 4 corners, and will pull the car down from 150 without even trying with no brake fade. Again you just need to learn the car. View attachment 1076714
Personally, Id let him drive it (with you in it) for a few months. Later in that process, let him hammer it a few times, let him dog around and get used to controlling that kind of power. Then he’ll be okay. Odds are, he will learn that stuff with or without you anyway, might as well be with. Nothing like having your old man teach you to drive a 1400 hp twin turbo Fox.
As far as a night on the town with him and his buddies? NO. Haha

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
521 Posts
Love to see this passion for the Fox body. When I was first comming up on driving age I wanted a classic mustang because the new 5.0L Fox body had no soul and anybody could buy one. Times have changed and I’ve grown a love and appreciation for the Fox body and all the performance gains it brought to our small block Ford. Thank you!!!

61 - 80 of 115 Posts