Ford Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
LilRed86, its nice to see someone else that holds on to the old magazines. If I recall correctly, one of the issues you posted had a write up on the heads on my car, done by Donnie Anderson. They were Dart, which we also popular at the time. To add some perspective, I knew of Street Outlaw cars that were running Dart heads at the time.

As for the intakes of the day, I also ran a Cartech box for a while. This one was custom made for me with a slightly canted throttle body mount, so the discharge tube from my Vortech would clear under my strut tower brace. I ran it again for a little while when I built my last car a few years ago.

Automotive battery Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,158 Posts
Lumberton Ford was 30min from my house...
Spent thousands there...lol. Later to become Holcomb Motorsports. Kenny Holcomb was the parts manager at Lumberton Ford.
Automotive parking light Car Yellow Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I remember having one of these Jacob's boxes. Worked just as good as a MSD.
Watercraft Newspaper Motor vehicle Vehicle Font

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There's one of these brand new on corral for sale right now if it hadn't sold yet..

Newspaper Font Publication Poster Paper

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
oh there are plenty out there.. i'm running a set... seen 4 or 5 sets lately for sale on the Cleveland sites
Post a picture of a Cleveland head, the intake ports. That usually explains why the Cleveland heads were the best small block heads ever made.

There were port plates made in the 90's for mounting most intakes onto Cleveland heads, for any SBF. I discovered those a while ago, that website seems to be stagnant.

I will need some Cleveland heads for a 351/358, or 408 build next year. I like the Speedmaster 4V heads, but I'd prefer the smaller 220cc port version and find someone who can port them well. Those are "okay" OOTB, but I believe they need some port massaging to maximize them. Stock they seem to be in the 275cfm range, but ported they should approach 350cfm depending on which port size(220cc or 245cc).

Reactions: SS BRP

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Post a picture of a Cleveland head, the intake ports. That usually explains why the Cleveland heads were the best small block heads ever made.

There were port plates made in the 90's for mounting most intakes onto Cleveland heads, for any SBF. I discovered those a while ago, that website seems to be stagnant.

I will need some Cleveland heads for a 351/358, or 408 build next year. I like the Speedmaster 4V heads, but I'd prefer the smaller 220cc port version and find someone who can port them well. Those are "okay" OOTB, but I believe they need some port massaging to maximize them. Stock they seem to be in the 275cfm range, but ported they should approach 350cfm depending on which port size(220cc or 245cc).
What headers would you use for the Speedmaster heads in a Fox? I cant find any for that combo.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
What headers would you use for the Speedmaster heads in a Fox? I cant find any for that combo.
That is the big hurdle for any Cleveland head project now, even older cars there are very few choices. I used to see posts referring to headers fitting applications that they weren't made for, such as an older Torino header in a Fox, or vice versa. I don't know what will fit, the examples of those are so old that finding those posts would be hard.

The Cleveland's do have the best valve covers though;
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fuel tank

Reactions: SS BRP
41 - 60 of 122 Posts