Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
In 1992 I had my Maverick for about 3 years. I won a few races with it and decided it was time to replace the ported D0OE 351w heads. I kinda remember the choices. Believe it or not I still have that car and I still race it from time to time!

Edelbrock had some heads on the market though the pickin's was slim. As I remember, the RPM #6025 heads had just come out, and I wanted a set (and eventually bought them, $879 brand new for the pair, complete, IIRC). Iron 4V clevelands were popular heads. M-6049-C3 SVO heads were popular on higher end stuff; NASCAR, late models, others.

My best friend at the time, who is now dead from drugs and the drug trade, had a hot Mustang, he was using nascar take-off heads on a 9.2 deck and ran a bunch of 5.50's in the 1/8 spraying the daylights out of it. That was flying back then.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In 1992 I had my Maverick for about 3 years. I won a few races with it and decided it was time to replace the ported D0OE 351w heads. I kinda remember the choices. Believe it or not I still have that car and I still race it from time to time!

Edelbrock had some heads on the market though the pickin's was slim. As I remember, the RPM #6025 heads had just come out, and I wanted a set (and eventually bought them, $879 brand new for the pair, complete, IIRC). Iron 4V clevelands were popular heads. M-6049-C3 SVO heads were popular on higher end stuff; NASCAR, late models, others.

My best friend at the time, who is now dead from drugs and the drug trade, had a hot Mustang, he was using nascar take-off heads on a 9.2 deck and ran a bunch of 5.50's in the 1/8 spraying the daylights out of it. That was flying back then.
Yeah the more research I do, the more I realize that the parts I’m looking for is everything you cant find anywhere for sale. Theres 1 set of Cleveland Yates heads on Ebay, but I don’t know how well those will bolt onto a 302 HO engine. Or if you can even do that.

Sorry to hear about your friend by the way.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
j302 heads came out in the late 80's and gt40 tubular was available in 92. many intakes were ported lowers with custom uppers.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
528 Posts
Got some old street warrior heads from that time with 2.02 intakes. Apparently guys like Brian Tooley knew a thing or two back then.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,380 Posts
Ooooh those issues bring back memories. I’d be at the corner store after work the DAY those magazine came out!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Ooooh those issues bring back memories. I’d be at the corner store after work the DAY those magazine came out!
I have hundreds of issues of Super Ford, Mustangs and Fords, 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords, MM&FF and others in my magazine library. Pre internet, I bought every issue of every Ford magazine I could find. I've saved and moved nearly every issue ever since. I've lost a few here or there, but have most. A great resource. I often think about the information in hem and the shame of it being lost to the "digital age". I can walk into my basement and pull any issue of almost any Mustang magazine off the shelf in under 2 minutes. 99.99% of that info is not avaialble online. The articles? Not searchable anywhere. Such a shame.

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,125 Posts
I have hundreds of issues of Super Ford, Mustangs and Fords, 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords, MM&FF and others in my magazine library. Pre internet, I bought every issue of every Ford magazine I could find. I've saved and moved nearly every issue ever since. I've lost a few here or there, but have most. A great resource. I often think about the information in hem and the shame of it being lost to the "digital age". I can walk into my basement and pull any issue of almost any Mustang magazine off the shelf in under 2 minutes. 99.99% of that info is not avaialble online. The articles? Not searchable anywhere. Such a shame.
Your exactly right! I started subscribing to EVERY Ford magazine there was in 1990 when I turned 16 and got my 86 coupe. I've got every issue of them from 90- 2010, 20yrs worth. At least 15 footlocker trunks full, somedays I just open them up and read.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
5,380 Posts
Now I feel OLD….

I had every one from all as well. Then after one too many moves I started having to make sacrifices. Moving sucks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They made them 3 different ways, Stock lower, truck lower, GT40 lower Mine is stock lower. Cartech also Made the Down's Ford Box upper.
I watched a video of Brian Wolfe going through all of his old parts, intakes, SVO throttle bodies, mostly custom stuff. Just wondering what off-the-shelf parts competitive racers used back then.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Man, this is thread is a great throwback to my high school years. In '94, the fast guy in school had an '82 GT and he was running ported 351w heads that he worked over in autoshop class cause at the time, that was about the only thing you could get on a high schooler's budget.

The following year or so, my buddy's little brother worked all summer at Wendy's and spent every cent he earned on a set of "BRAND NEW" Twisted Wedge heads. When they arrived, it was like Christmas day opening the box. They were crazy exotic at the time.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts