Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that ive cleaned out the TB I might as well clean up the 'ol mass air wires since everyone says it makes such a difference. What should I use to clean them so as to not to cause damage??

·
Registered
153 Posts
WD-40

WD-40 is great for any type of electrical connection ! ;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
i used electrical contact cleaner. it is used to clean electrical components and dries really fast. you should be able to find it at most hardware stores. i didnt notice any difference in mine after cleaning but i can say it did clean some dirt/filter oil off of it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Of course

read the back of the can , it's like one of the best cleaners for connections , electrical contact cleaner is really close to wd-40 in it's makeup ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
The SnapOn website recommends rubbing alcohol for cleaning the MAF wires...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hope you guys are kidding me about the WD - 40 and other bogus cleaners. There is no best way to clean a MAF, but there is a safest. Use NON-CHLORINATED brake parts cleaner, and never EVER touch the metering wires with anything. They are to only be sprayed off with the cleaner, not physically touched or scrubbed.

, firehart2

·
Registered
148 Posts
The sn95.com website says to wipe them off with a Q-tip.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use Windex to clean mine, no problems. Do not use WD40 or any other oil base solvent! It will leave a residue and the MAF will function irregular.

To understand why this would happen you need to understand how the mass air works. One of those wires gets superheated (>200 deg F), while the other moderately heated. As air flow passes through the wires, they are cooled. The MAF tries to maintain a constant temperature by applying slightly more voltage across the superhot wire. This increase in voltage is also how the computer measures air flow. More flow requires more voltage to keep the wire at a constant temperature.

Now you can understand why an oil based solvent or anything that leaves a residue would create a problem. If it insulates the wire causing less heat loss then less voltage is needed and your MAF will be showing less air entering the car than there truly is.

Tony

·
Registered
153 Posts
read what he wrote!!

dude take a minute and read what he wrote
we are not cleaning the MAF With WD-40 DUH we are cleaning the electrical connector !!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
is your maf functioning improperly josh?? If it isn't, I wouldn't bother because you don't want to break one of the meters..that would suck hardcore. :mad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Re: read what he wrote!!

MOC said:
dude take a minute and read what he wrote
we are not cleaning the MAF With WD-40 DUH we are cleaning the electrical connector !!! :rolleyes:
Why clean the connector wires? It's the elements that measure air flow which get dirty and cause the car to run like crap, not the electrical connector. How would the connector wires get dirty anyways if it's plugged in all the time?

Tony

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: Re: read what he wrote!!

LXH89 said:

Why clean the connector wires? It's the elements that measure air flow which get dirty and cause the car to run like crap, not the electrical connector. How would the connector wires get dirty anyways if it's plugged in all the time?

Tony
exactly..that what this thread is about. The MAF Wires(Meters)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts