Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it happen again, I cracked my bellhousing, how could this be happening?? i'm using convertables motor mounts and a 2500 stall and trans mounts looks good

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
what kinda mounts? if you have rubbers up front and a solid transmission mount that's bad

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have convertable motor mounts(rubber) and trans mount is rubber

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
perhaps you're overtorqueing the bell bolts?? either that or maybe something is really out of line on your whole drivetrain

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a trans shop put the trans in, the motor mounts are 1 month old, the trans mount is about a year old, I never had vibration , even at high speeds, when the trans downshifted at a high rpm , thats when the bellhousing crack

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've seen several bellhousings crack on full size trucks. Usually it comes down to a driveline vibration that you may or may not feel. I would have the driveshaft sent out and rebalanced and make sure the u-joints are not worn or binding.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scattershield????..what is that...where do you fine one??

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Scattershield is for if/when the bellhousing breaks/clutch breaks - it keeps metal shrapnel from flying through the floorpan into you.

It is not normal to keep cracking bellhousings, so either it has been tightened too tight, or something is out of whack.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Sorry, if that's what a scattershield is then I misspoke. I have a mcleod bellhousing, which I've heard called a scattershield before. That sucker is rock solid steel. I think that anything else in the drive train would go before it cracked.

Chris

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a AOD...no removeable bellhousing

I talk to the guys at Lentech, they said it could be my driveshaft causing vibrations at higher rpms that I would not feel since I have a 410 gear and the bellhousing is the weakest point, I'm still using a stock driveshaft....
and the guys at Summit said it could be my pinion angle is off, where do I go to get this check/adjusted?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Unless you have adjustable rear control arms then you can not adjust pinion angle. BTW take the stock driveshaft, beat a ricer with it, then go buy a aluminum one.

J

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Yep, I would go with an aluminum shaft as well. A little more pricey than getting the stocker balanced, but it's worth it, IMHO.

If your car is stock, and rear springs are in good shape, your pinion angle should be just fine, assuming your have stock control arms in there. In fact, as joker said, you cannot change your pinion angle without adjustable rear control arms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts