Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my 92 GT. I'm not looking for a drag race or road race suspension, I'm just wants it to drive down the road smoothly. It will be drove on both smooth roads and bumpy roads so that needs to be factored in. I'm also looking to possibly put some lowering springs on. Mainly because I hate how the front sits higher than the rear. I'd like it to sit more level. So my question is what suspension parts would be best for my application? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would suggest calling the guys at Maximum Motorsports. I explained what I wanted and they were straight up with me. Didn't try to up-sell me, just gave me a detailed quote of all of the parts I would need to hit my goal. It's not the dirt cheapest stuff out there, but it is quality built.

·
Registered
255 Posts
BTW... I told them I wanted an aggressive street setup to go along w/ a 408W motor and a 5 lug swap. They set me up with a front coil over set up, tubular A-arms, left me with my stock K member (which was later swapped out for different reasons), front sway bar bushings, bump steer kit, caster camber plates, rear torque arm, new springs, panhard bar, lower control arms and an adjustable rear sway bar and adjustable shocks and struts on all corners. I've only had the car out once, due to issues getting the new motor dialed in, but the steering response was amazing and the ride was no more harsh than the stock suspension w/ some Steeda springs on it. I love it and can't wait to put it through some twisty roads.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's probably what I'll end up doing. I just want it to handle and ride "smooth" along with having a good even stance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The rear axle is going to require the most work if you're looking for a "smooth" ride. Coilovers in front will be great, but removing the bind in the rear suspension is going to be the biggest upgrade as far as ride quality

Or, just put in a Cobra IRS. It's great for daily driving :cool:

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
coilovers with a fair rate like 275 would probably suit you best coupled with good struts and some c/c plates. Make sure your A-arm bushings and balljoints are fresh (which they will be, if you just slap in some tubulars).

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are there any certain brands that would work better for the combo I'm looking for?

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Unknown rates tied with crappy struts = unknown lowering. non-adjustable height, and a questionable ride.

Coilovers in front. Nothing less than Tokico HP's for struts. c/c plates. Adjustable-height lower control arms in the rear, with stock springs. Done. Too expensive? Save for it.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unknown rates tied with crappy struts = unknown lowering. non-adjustable height, and a questionable ride.

Coilovers in front. Nothing less than Tokico HP's for struts. c/c plates. Adjustable-height lower control arms in the rear, with stock springs. Done. Too expensive? Save for it.
That about sums it up. Ill keep looking. I'm trying not to break the bank but get quality stuff (if that's even possible) that will give me the ride/stance I'm looking for.

·
Registered
578 Posts
On my 89 I used to have I did Bilstein shocks/struts, eibach springs, hotckis caster camber plates, and that car rode nice. Nice and tight on turns and smooth.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I've used eibach sport line springs withtokico hp blue shocks and struts with no issues. But what MFE said will give you a good amount of adjustment and allow you to change your ride height.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've never done coil overs before. On my other foxes Ive always used 4 cylinder springs and Lakewood 91/10's so it was pretty easy. Are the coil overs any harder to install?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
No they are actually pretty easy to install and adjust

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And another thing I forgot to mention. I'm gonna be getting 17x9 cobra R wheels for it. I've been reading that with the stock 4 lug setup and 17x9's in the front they will run the spring if I do a coil over setup? Has anyone ran into this?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I think I'm gonna go with tokico HP shocks and struts, MM adjustable lower controls arms, adjustable upper controls arms (probably UPR or Granatelli), stock springs in the rear and I'm still trying to decide on which springs for the front. I was thinkin either 4 cylinder springs or eibach. Which springs would you guys use?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im very happy with my Mach 1 springs and Koni STR-t strut/shock package. Perfect ride height and ride quality for a street car. I would leave the stock rear upper arms in, just get fresh bushings. Yes on the MM lower arms.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im very happy with my Mach 1 springs and Koni STR-t strut/shock package. Perfect ride height and ride quality for a street car. I would leave the stock rear upper arms in, just get fresh bushings. Yes on the MM lower arms.
Does the Mach 1 springs lower the front end? I'm basically looking for a front spring that will lower it down enough to match the rear. I'm going to be getting either 17x8 or 17x9 cobra R style rims so I don't want it to be too low and cause rubbing issues but I'd like it to sit level.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts