Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called about putting a high volume/high pressure oil pump in my car and they told me not to do it. When you use a MSD distributor along with a high volume pump the mesh between them isnt right. So he said I will probably get shaving in my motor. I have 7k miles on my motor that was professionally built and I have oiling issues such as 10 psi at idle and it will not go past 45 psi even at 5-6 k RPM. I think my melling HV oil pump went bad and I have never heard what he is talking about.

1)Has anybody heard of this distributor to oil pump issue?(Should I worry about it?)
2)Has anybody heard a HV pump is bad for a 302?
3)Could it be my bearing are bad already, or is it the pump?
4)Should I go with a standard pump?

Sorry for all the questions but I blew my last motor due to oiling issues and I am really upset to be seeing this again!!!!!

Thanks for the info:mad:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
That is total BS!

I have the MSD Pro Billet distributor in my 306 as well as the high volume pump that DSS installed in my shortblock. I have had NO problems whatsoever with it. I have ran HV oil pumps in every motor that I've built with no problems ever. I think it is total myth that they are bad for a 302. My motor has over 12k miles on it and everyone of them are with the blower and regular beatings, and my motor still carries 40+psi hot idle and over 80psi at 5-6,000rpm.

·
Registered
414 Posts
First of all do you know what your bearing clearences were? and second what oil pan are you using? I work at Ramchargers here in michigan and i was told almost the same thing, just not the MSD dist. part. So i called melling and talked to Dan, in case you want to call. Anyway he told me that if you are running a stock cap. oil pan that a HV pump will suck it dry in the upper rpm band, ie. 6200-7000, especially if its in a 1/4 mile situation. He also said that the fords don't really need the extra oil, their oiling systems are pretty good, and if you don't need the extra oil because your bearing clearences are tight, .002/.003, it puts an unnessary (sp) load on the cam gear. Now all that being said I plan on a stroker in a year or so and i will put in a hi cap, pan and a hv pump with my MSD dist. Dan did say that the NASCAR guys he works with only have like 50 or so pounds when running their 8500 constant rpms and have no problems because their beairing tolerances are so good and tight and precise.
Just some more info for ya, hope it helps some.
Ryan

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I just got off the phone with MSD and they said that they never heard anything like that before. I don't know what the summit dude is smoking?? I dont know what my clearances are. I have the stock oil pan. What do you guys think of the milloden high volume/high pressure oil pump as oppesed to the melling High volume. Should I or shouldnt I go with the Milloden HV/HP pump?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm running an MSD 8582 dizzy, with a FRPP oil pump d/s and a Melling M68HV (High Volume) pump. I've also got a chrome 5 1/2 quart oil pan and a FRPP windage tray. I've never sucked the pan dry, and never heard of this problem before.

Going back to GRKSTL2's original post tho, he says:
"I called about putting a high volume/high pressure oil pump in my car and they told me not to do it."

I have heard that a High Volume AND High Pressure pump can cause some problems if the rest of the oil system is not upgraded as well. (IE. Pan etc.) But I've never ran one myself and can't say for sure. With just a High Volume I've never had a problem at all, even daily driving and 40,000km on my bottom end.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There may be some issues with a MSD distributor and some 351W blocks, but I've never heard of one in a 5.0. If your bearing clearances are loose, run a HV pump. But for factory clearances, a standard volume is fine. I used to use a HV pump, and on a tear down, noticed the hardened pump driveshaft was worn on the oil pump end. It was running up to 100 PSI hot, which is way to much. I also burst a filter with this pump. The pump I use now is from www.precisionoilpumps.com It's a Melling standard volume race pump with a unique gearotor and endplate design, that had been blueprinted and dry film moly coated. Also, the pressure can be adjusted with this pump. On my engine, I get about 75 PSI hot at 4K, and 45 at idle. They also make a high volume version of this pump. In the photo,you can see the the special end cap and safety wired cap bolts.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
GRKSTL2 said:
where did you order your precision pump from? And how do you adjust it?
I think you can order from his web site. I called him direct because he is not to far from where I live. Ordered it, and got it the next day. For the adjustment, you have to remove the pickup tube, and there is an allen plug where the soft plug normally is. The instructions say to turn the plug in or out to adjust, I just left mine where it was set. I'm very happy with this pump.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I have the HV Melling pump that D.S.S supplies with their short blocks. They give you a choice of HV or standard. I also have the Canton 7qt pan on my car FWIW. With 10w30 Mobil 1 I see about 45psi hot idle and 75-80psi at 6k. It will spike to overr 90psi when the oil is cold but never caused any problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts