Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires are best for hooking on the street without being too bad in the rain? Pirellis,BFG,Nitto?????(or other)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the BFG KDW and they have worked good for me.

Ryan

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
The tires i am looking at for street are Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position. I have heard that they are great in turns and with the rain, but dont know how they ware on the street (i belive the G-force T/A KDW is a copy of the Bridgestone's).

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 on my car and couldn't be happier with the performance after 10K miles (wearin' very nicely too).

These tires grip extremely well handling wise, and (more importantly) even better when it comes to traction during exteme braking and manuevering, which helped me avoid a collision (which is why I'm touting the tires and not what a great body shop I found and how well the matched the paint).

I've recently driven at 60-70mph speeds in the rain with these tires and felt very confident, didn't get that hydroplane feeling at all during the trip (MM in S.L.O. to my home in the Long Beach area). Can I break 'em loose in the rain? Sure, who can't/what tire won't?????

The only thing I don't like about the tires is there is a small scallop just above where the tire and rim meet. This shows a bit too much rim lip, but I'm the only guy that notices this. It is more appearent on the front tires due to their small size (245-40-18) versus the rear (275-35-18)......Yea, yea I know, don't laugh I was trying to match the stock tire outer dimensions, so I didn't have any ABS issues (live and learn I guess!!! : shrug: )

People can brag all day long about how quick they can make it down the 1/4 mile. I couldn't care less. How quickly can you reel it in, is of a greater benefit for everyday driving (IMHO and experience) Your health & safety is worth it !!!! Quickly someone kick out that soapbox .

In summary, would I buy these tires again??? In a heartbeat (plus they're not loud like those Goodyears). I like the technology behind these tires. Visit the website and check it out.

Hop

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the Nitto's listed in my sig. While they are a great tire for handling (very predictable) and are also great in the rain, I think they stink on the track and also hooking on the street. That was with my 3.27 gears even. 4.10's, forget it!! I have to say they have lasted a very long time. I haven't even rotated them yet and am going on about 25-30K with them. Great looks with the 255's. If you know of a tire that hooks on the street and somewhat at the strip, let me know!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used Dunlop Sport 5000 Asymmetrical skins on my old 91 LX Coupe and they were awesome on dry pavement and very good on wet or snow covered roads. I plan to install these on the 02 GT when the time comes around.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts