Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lentech AOD has a 1-peice input shaft and a 12" non lockup converter with a 2000 stall speed. Either sometime soon, or later on when I do the motor, I want to add another converter. The car is a daily driver. Lots of highway and city. I dont really see the need for a high stall (3000 range) for a daily driver, but I definately want something better than what ive got now.

Lentech recommended a nice little 9 1/2"converter with a stall speed somewhere around 2400-2600. Now since its non lockup and driven daily, does anyone have any other recommendations? Ide go with a lockup converter, but that would require taking the trans apart to install the 2 peice input shaft and im sure that would cost a truckload of money.

Im currently running a 19,000lb rated trans cooler up front tied in with the radiator cooler, but unless its something stupid to do, I was thinking about buying another cooler and just tieing both coolers together and bypassing the radiator cooler. Any thoughts on that idea?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I run a built AOD with a Precision 9.5" non-lockup 2800 stall. I also installed a B&M cooler #70264. I thought about bypassing the radiator cooler also. If I had to do this over again, I would probably go for a little more stall, probably around 3000-3200. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zelone:

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the PI converter and how does it drive on the street and highway? Do you have any problems with overheating or too much slipping? I guess what im trying to say is, when your just cruisin along at 45mph in D, does the trans seem like its slipping and not really going anywhere?

BTW, if im not mistaken, you have purchased a few things from Chris Swanson right?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Lentech Street terminator Plus with valve body upgrade. (for Trans Brake)
I run the supplied 9.5" 3000 stall non lockup on the street a lot.
It aint lockup.
I have a 28000 lb cooler, alone, no cooler in engine rad.
Runs cool, average tranny temps are in between 170-200 max.
Im sure i can improve it with better airflow to the cooler.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does it drive on the street compared to a lockup style converter? Does it slip enough to the point where it becomes annoying? I want to make sure that at low speeds, it isnt going to slip and and feel like a 5-speed with a bad clutch thats slipping. (I think I explained that right)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Blk89GT,
The PI was about $740 with shipping. I know it can be had for a little less, but I spoke to Jack at PI many times about my plans for the car and he made a few other recommendations about different upgrades to my trans. Overall, I was very happy with their service and knowledge. Thats why I didnt mind paying a little more through them directly. I like the non-lockup feeling, when driving in "D" and accelerating, it accelerates first before downshifting. It is a better feeling. Not sure how much it helps at the track, but I hear you still build torque in 3rd gear when lockups do not. I dont think its overheating, I dont have a trans temp gauge on it, but the fluid is red and doesnt smell burnt after about 9 months of driving it.

I have bought parts from Chris Swanson, and he has always treated me right. For now on, I will see if he can get what I need first before I check elsewhere. He is building one hell of a buisness, and he knows his ****. Helped me out of a few jams lately.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
My wife has a 2800 NON lockup, it does-NOT feel like a sliping clutch, it just seams like its stronger , but our lockup converter we had before that was a little quicker in the quarter mile [ go figure]

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zelone: My fluid too has been red and doesnt smell burnt either and ive been running my low stall non lockup for 3 years now, so im guessing I wont have any problems with overheating as long as there is plenty of airflow to the cooler. I know what you are talking about when you said it feels stronger in D. Thanks for the info. BTW, I too have been talking with Chris and when my fund permit, he and his brother are going to build me a complete streetable 342.

Rotax and 5speed: thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure the car isnt going to feel weak when driving at low speeds in D. (hence the slipping clutch)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
3200 PI stallion nonlockup Art Carr input shaft.

No problems.. easily driveable and you barely feel it stall that high unless you really throttle it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
2500 nonlockup

Swapping it out to go 3500 nonlockup. The tight convertor was good with the stock cam, but is way to tight for even the TW stage 1.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it true that a smaller converter size will equal less rotating mass, therefore make the car seem more quick?

The current converter im using is nothing more than a modified stock Ford converter

·
Registered
904 Posts
Is it true that a smaller converter size will equal less rotating mass, therefore make the car seem more quick?
That is supposed to be one of the benefits of a smaller convertor. The engine should rev faster. The PI weighs half of what a stocker weighs. I couldnt believe how light it was compared to the stocker when I received it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts