Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the million dollar question. My dad & I are turning it into a monster street machine. We are dropping in a 351 stroking it out to a 408, using AFR 205 heads, Holley Street Avenger Carb, Victor jr Intake, 244/255 @ .050" Crane cam, & a C4 tranny. Dont know what stall to use. I'm half ass thinking a 4,000 stall would be best. I want it to rev up and get the hell out of the hole before anybody knew what happened.

Next question what size gears?
I've been told that 4.56 would be best as I will also be using a 9inch rear end. I want it to make most of of its power in the 2500 to 6500 rpm range & cruise around 3500 rpm. This will be driven on the street just for fun won't be my daily driver just something to race people every once in awhile. please help me make this pichup untouchable. Thanx in advance

·
Registered
79 Posts
With that combo, you're going to make a good bit of torque so you should stay conservative on the stall speed (3000-3500). As for the gear, that depends on the diam of the tire you're running. I would say with a 26" tire go with 3.73's or 4.10's. If you're running a big tire then go with the 4.56's.

Burn'em up
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
I say lean towards the conservative side as well...unless you really have the suspension dialed in you may hit the tires too hard with a high stall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx guys, I've been racking my brain trying to think of the right combo.

Brad: Do you by chance know of a place that I can get coilover suspension for this 66. I want to lower it down a bit but more over to improve the handiling & to have a little bit better traction on the launch.

Bill460Fox: I'm going to go with what you say & use a 3500 stall.

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
actually yes i do. my soon to be father in law builds that type of stuff.

as far as lowering the front goes u can buy aftermarket i beams OR trust someone to bend your existing i beams..

if you have drum breaks ditch them and get the i-beams and all from a 70's with disk breaks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I'm gonna go with a 3500 stall, & 4.10 gears...going to run 28" tires......What spline should I use?...a 35?

Also does anybody know any other little tricks that I can do lowering it ect...........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts