Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm upgrading to a new throttle body and MAF so what i need to know is what size do i need to get in each and what brand...

also with the MAF, does it need to be calibrated for 24# injectors because i think i read that the Cobra uses a 19# calibrated MAF and the computer changes it to 24#s if this is soo would i need to get a 19# calibrated instead?

also would there be any be any benefit to using a throttle body spacer with the cobra intake? i haven't seen a cobra intake with one on it so i didn't know if there was a reason or not?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would say you need a mass air calibrated for 24# injectors. I don't know about the spacer though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Bump

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Get an MAF calibrated for a 93 Cobra EEC (X3Z) with 24 pound injectors. I'd go with a 75 mm Pro-M.

For a tb Accufab is the only way to go. 70 mm will match your Cobra intake perfectly.

No need for a tb spacer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
86Cobra said:
Get an MAF calibrated for a 93 Cobra EEC (X3Z) with 24 pound injectors. I'd go with a 75 mm Pro-M.

For a tb Accufab is the only way to go. 70 mm will match your Cobra intake perfectly.

No need for a tb spacer.

DITTO

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where would be the best place to find a MAF calibrated for the cobra eec

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SVO LOU said:
You'll see more gain if you get a MAF (Pro-M or C & L) cal'd for 24lb injectors and get an A9L processor.
Lou.
Ok im sorta new to the mustang crowd sooo where exactly can i find what your talking about and what is the A9L processor?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Any good performance shop (Houston Performance, JD's Performance, etc) can set you up with a properly calibrated Pro-M.

The A9L is the GT and 5.0 LX EEC. It's a little more aggressive than the Cobra X3Z. People typically pick up a little power switching from an X3Z to an A9L (or A3M, same thing).

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The A9L processor is the one used in 91-93 GT/LX cars. Could be other years too.
The Cobra processor (X3Z) was calibrated with less of a timing curve than the GT/LX cars. They say because the Cobras were breaking transmissions during shifts. It's also said that above 92 or 93 MPH the X3Z dumps lots of fuel. Good if you're using forced induction. Who knows?
For Cobras the hot mod is letting the MAF sensor be calibrated for current injector size then use the GT/LX processor for a better/more aggressive timing curve.
Take off your passenger kick panel (to the right of where your feet go) and that's where the processor sits.
Lou.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks 86 cobra and svo lou

ok now where can i get an A9L processor??and how much???
also would this involve just swapping out a chip or the entire computer?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I know changing the computer of the Cobra will make it perform better but I don't think changing the MAF meter and throttle will help on a stock Cobra or will it? I thought the Cobra had a 65mm TB and a 70mm MAF unit so what kind of mods have you done to try and go bigger?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If your motor is still stock, I would keep the 65mm T.B. You don't need a larger one, and the only change that would occur is a decrease in the size of your wallet. A larger MAF may prove beneficial. I would suggest the C&L 76mm, or the Pro-M 77mm. Either way, if you retain the stock Cobra computer, the MAF must be calibrated for 19 LB. Injectors, just as the stock 70mm MAF is calibrated for 19lb. injectors. If you change to a H.O. computer, such as the A9L (recommended, if you do change), you must get the MAF calibrated for 24 LB. Injectors. The Cobra computer recieves the signal from the stock 70mm MAF (calibrated for 19lb inj.) and modifies it accordingly for 24lb. Injectors. Good luck. And I would seriously reconsider wasting money on a larger throttle body. I've good deep 12's with the stock t.b. and n/a stock shortblock, daily driven.

Take it easy!
josh

·
Registered
154 Posts
For the $300+ your gonna spend and maybe eek out 3 hp, I would save your money. If your are dead set on spending the dough, get a catback system and enjoy the sound. Just my opinion.

have fun!
Ron V

1 - 14 of 14 Posts