Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a 5/8 inch bolt and it was too large. Is it 9/16? I have an 83' 5.0 and I removed both lines that go to the rear of the heads. Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A park plug should work

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Some people will say a Spark plug worked for them and I have personally seen a few cars where the owners plugged the holes with a sparkplug but I have plugged 2 separate sets of heads on 302s with E7TE heads and they took 2 9/16 Coarse thread bolts about 3/4" long..In both of the cars/motors I have plugged, a 5/8 Tap would slide through the holes in the heads loosely...The Reason I think some people use a 5/8" spark plug to plug up the holes are because there is SO much Carbon buildup in those thermactor Ports, that the Threads just make threads in the Carbon and not the heads...

·
Registered
81 Posts
9/16 coarse thread- sorry try again
5/8 by 11 is what fit my e7te's , brake a treadchaser down and you will be able to fit it in btwn the head and the firewall to clean the carbon out.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
foxbodyordeath said:
9/16 coarse thread- sorry try again

:rolleyes: well, Im glad the 5/8 x 11 worked for your heads but for the 2 sets I Plugged a 5/8 was too small and just loosely Slid in the hole ..Maybe on yours it was a 5/8 x 11, but on the 2 I have plugged it was 9/16 coarse thread so dont tell me to try again..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9/16 worked for me too. 5/8 is too large and won't even start. Just to help out 5/8 is larger than 9/16. At least now we know there are 2 sizes and now they can be posted before anyone goes to the parts store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts