Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I pulled my tranny to see what's been causing the vibration I've been having and I can wiggle my chankshaft (where connects to flywheel) with my hand. On top of other problems I've had with the motor, I'm ready to get another block and start fresh. No smaller than 302 of course, its a somewhat daily driver and occasional (2 3 or 4 times a year) strip car. Would like to see low 13s or 12s(or faster of course, I know its very possible with my heads/intake) needs to be reliable and get decent (I'd like around or better than 18ish and 22ish) mileage. I have afr 165 heads, cobra intake, and going to get a different cam (currently have x303) into shorties and 3.73s with an offroad x. Just want a faster than average car with streetability basically, preferably no bigger than a 351. If you could say what you did/built or know someone who's done something in the under 351 range that drives it quite often, please say what it is and how you like it and if/why you would recommend it to others over other engines in the range I said. Thanks in advance. :salute:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Only thing I can really offer, is that your heads are kinda on the small side for a 331,347 and up. You can get a 302 into the 12's easily. With everything you have, just go with a 302/306 and keep it simple. My engine is not done yet, and the Heads are totally different, so I cant tell you how its gonna drive, but knowing what I do about the guy that done the cam, it will drive just fine. Just depends on what you wanna spend.

Now if you are considering a Head and Intake change also, that changes everything.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, people who I've talked to have also leaned that way. I will probably end up going with a 302 or 306, but wasn't sure if there were good combos (maybe 331) that used heads like mine and made decent power on a budget, but then again (from my understanding) I would hate to be wasting by displacement with worse heads than I should have. I will change the cam, though, and for an AFR 165/Cobra UpperLower/shorties/373 cam, do you have any advice on a good cam? I am not about to start a cam thread because they catch hell.

If anyone has built a 331 and has experience driving one frequently please add your .02.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
with a 306, AFR 165's, ported cobra intake and a custom FTI cam easy 300-310rwhp on 9:1CR. then later on throw on a blower.

if u don't want to port the cobra, sell it and go Performer ll.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
just built a 306 with jay allen cam, tw heads, n trackheat intake. it hauls ass and it fired right up, i adjusted timing and fuel and i have no major issues...it idles great and runs cool.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with a 306, AFR 165's, ported cobra intake and a custom FTI cam easy 300-310rwhp on 9:1CR. then later on throw on a blower.

if u don't want to port the cobra, sell it and go Performer ll.
I think you're right, my brother had an FTI cam with afr165s and a Performer, and made 311 and 323. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just built a 306 with jay allen cam, tw heads, n trackheat intake. it hauls ass and it fired right up, i adjusted timing and fuel and i have no major issues...it idles great and runs cool.
Good to know. I about went berserk when I could wiggle my crank but figured I could use it as a chance to upgrade :D I am excited now, because the car never ran right (with the combo) and I am excited to see how it feels when it is done right on a good short block.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Find a used 302 shortblock and throw all your stuff on it. If the car is a 5 speed, all you need is decent suspension and a little weight savings and it should run low 12s on motor. If auto, you're going to need a 3200-3800 converter and the transmission to be decently built.
then add the spray to it and run low 11s to high 10s. I know of a 165 headed 306, 10:1 compression, FTI cam, Performer 5.0 intake, AOD, 2850-2900 lbs, been 11.40s on motor and 10.30s on nitrous.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a 306 with AFR 165's, AFM N-41 cam, Holley Systemax II, Lightning MAF, Tweecer, and all the supporting mods. I run 3.90 gears. I made 325WHP and run 12's. Your topend is good stuff with a 306. If you build it right like I did, balanced, ARP hardware, etc, it should stand up to a 100 shot or 6-8 PSI of boost if you want a bit more out of it. I plan on adding one of those options myself next spring.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, those are damn good numbers Bullhead! I am probably going to port my cobra intake instead of buying a performer/track heat(which I love the looks of, but looks are secondary of course). The shortblock I am buying is going to be a new one, had too many bad experiences at this point with used stuff, so I am going the safe (and yes i know, more expensive) route. Already have contacted the seller, it's probably going to be a 306. I am still debating between a trick flow stage 1/2 or an FTI cam from ed curtis. Anybody have good luck with a TFS cam? I remember one poster did, and had good numbers, any more?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Suffocation.

Smaller parts will be more effecient on a small CID engine. There was a guy on another forum, built a 347, used stock E7's, stock something cam, and intake.

Put down 185rwhp and 270rwtq. LOL

The piston speed of a 331 or 347 will play hell on a small CSA head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts