Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 convertible with about 400hp its lowered 2" in the front and 1.5 in the back...its time i change the stocks struts and shocks i think...i want something that will give me better handling but wont make my ride stiffer, in fact i'd like my ride softer....what do you guys think??? thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
YOu may have a rough ride due to too low of a spring rate and bottoming out.
Of course the stock struts aren't helping. I run Illumina's and they are easily adjusted to different settings fo firmness.
Get Fox length instead of SN95 length in whatever strut you get.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those are tokico right? are you saying that when i order the struts and shocks I should ask for the part number for a 87-93 mustang not my 95....really, thats interesting, is this because the are shorter?? will they bolt in no problem like that...

thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
georgost said:
those are tokico right? are you saying that when i order the struts and shocks I should ask for the part number for a 87-93 mustang not my 95....really, thats interesting, is this because the are shorter?? will they bolt in no problem like that...

thanks
Naa man...I have tokico blues. My car is lowered about 2 1/4 in the front and 2 in the back on 18's and they dont bottom out with the stock bump stop...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Whatever you do, skip the "bullit" shocks/struts. I had KYB GR-2's with Saleen springs and it handled awesome! But it was too low:rolleyes: kept scraping everywhere. So I put on H&R SuperSports with new Bullit shocks/struts. It bouncy as hell and doesn't handle as good, but I don't scrape.
If money is no option, go coil-over and Bilsteins.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: What shocks and struts is everyone using in their lowered 94-95????

What springs are you using?

I have the Eibach pro kit with Tokico Illumina's (adjustable) for a 93 up front and Tokico premium's(non adjustable) for a 94 in the rear.

georgost said:
I have a 95 convertible with about 400hp its lowered 2" in the front and 1.5 in the back...its time i change the stocks struts and shocks i think...i want something that will give me better handling but wont make my ride stiffer, in fact i'd like my ride softer....what do you guys think??? thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
From what I could tell in their catalog the rears are all the same. The fronts are a bit shorter using the fox spec. and even if the longer ones don't bottom out they will not be in the sweetspot of the piston stroke area dropping the car 2 inches with the SN95 length struts.
If money is an issue the Illumina's are over $500 for a set so you may want the Bullitt kit or '03 Cobra struts instead.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Bilsteins. 'nough said.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geog if you dont mind me asking i have a 95 GT as well what all did you do to get 400hp?

95 GT vert. bassani o/r , dynomax mufflers, steeda stage1, monroe shocks, chrome cobra r. hoping to do some more mods by summer time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys, I'm really not sure about all the other struts you guys are running but if you get the koni's do not get the lowered ones. I'm running the koni yellows on my 94 and wish I got the stock length. My car is slammed at 2 1/2 in the front and now I will never be able to raise for drag purposes. I was barely able to get them extended enouph to get them on with the lowered spring. They are kind of expensive but I think you will be happy, they are adjustable and have a life time warranty. That's just my .02. :cool:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the responses guys....someone mentioned coilovers...what do you guys think?? who makes a good set of coilovers for a 94-95 and are they a direct bolt in??? and how much

·
Registered
158 Posts
quoted from Bilstein rep

I asked a Bilstein rep the same question, plus whether its worth it for me to swap K-Members at same time of 351W swap:

The best bet for improved handling for the 94 Mustang GT is Bilstein’s BTS kit. This will lower the car approximately 35mm in the front and 30 mm in the rear. The only down side is that this kit is not ride height adjustable. The kit includes 4 shocks and springs. I do not know what the exact spring rates are, but you can call Bilstein tech support at 800-537-1085 and they should be able to tell you there.
60 lbs. of additional weight on the front end is not a large increase in weight percentage, and from my personal experience on these cars, there is not much you can do about the front weight bias. As for the front K-member, we have found a large performance gain by swapping it out, and it is a mod I would very strongly recommend.
Thanks,
Kevin Foote
[email protected]
Turner Motorsport
(978) 388-7769

Here's the prices from shocksonline.com

BTS-7503 (Set) $1,099.00 $714.35 OUT OF STOCK

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I run KYB AGX's front and rear at the SN95 length and I don't have any problems. My front is dropped nearly 2" and the rear is dropped about 2.5". I have them set up pretty hard to go with my specific rate springs though. I do have caster camber plates that have add ons to increase strut travel on my lowered car.

I X L
95 Cobra hardtop convertible
"an Evil SVT in the making"

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Bilstiens w/sport valving.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts