Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to perform a single modification to my `99GT convertible, although the previous owner put a set of Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers on it. Nothing else is done. Where would be a good shift point? Will this vary depending on what gear?... and if so, what gear should get what rpm shift? (approximately)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I shift around 5500, maybe 5600 - 5700 for you?!?

·
Registered
807 Posts
5250 is peak hp, so shift at like 5400 - 5500.......
Dave

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you still have 3:27 gears?? If so and you shift around 5300-5400rpm you'll go through the traps in 4th gear.......if you shift at redline you can go through the traps in 3rd gear.......your choice. I always went for the redline shift when I was stock geared.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blown99GT said:
Do you still have 3:27 gears?? If so and you shift around 5300-5400rpm you'll go through the traps in 4th gear.......if you shift at redline you can go through the traps in 3rd gear.......your choice. I always went for the redline shift when I was stock geared.
Thanks, guys. Yep... I still have the 3.27 gears. I have yet to take the car to the track and suppose I'll have to experiment with "fourth gear or not" come the traps. I remember running my bone stock 3.08 geared 5spd `89 GT and even though I could EASILY run through the traps in 3rd gear, I would actually get the tiniest better e.t.'s by banging it into 4th at about 4,800rpm- JUST before the traps.

But thanks for the advice on peak power ranges. This is my first modular Stang and it feels quite a bit different from my old five liter cars.

Dale

1 - 5 of 5 Posts