Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my new 3G alternator on and am unsure which pulley to use. Stock 2G, stock 3G, or march power/amp pulley. I would test all of them but since I don't have an impact gun, this is a little hard. Any advise. I see MANY conflicting threads. Thanks!

-Tom

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If you do not get enough ouput voltage at idle, replace the standard 3G 60mm pulley with a 1 3/4" (44mm) overdrive pulley from Auto Specialties: ASP520004, $19.95

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just measured the march pulley I have and it is exactly 1 3/4". The stock 3G is 2 3/8". I'll also have to get a different belt. I had to drop to a 89.5" belt when I put the crank and water pump pulleys on. It could be a little tighter with the bigger pulley now. I will try a 88.5" belt with the new pulley.

-Tom

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
I think the crank pulley is larger on the 94-95 Mustang so even with the larger 3G pulley, the alt still spins at god enough RPM's to charge at idle.

Now put it on a Fox with a smaller crank and the alt will slow down a bit.

I usually tell people to at least put the stock 2G pulley back on if they have all stock pulleys.

With underdrives you can run the even smaller pulleys on the alt like I do to gain back some alt RPM.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just measured the voltage while I was driving and it was 11.5 volts with the stock 3G pulley on. I'm going to try and find someone to zip the 1 3/4 pulley on today and I'll post results.

-Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blown88GT:

Do you see any problems using 8' of 4ga to my fuse and then 1.5' from the fuse to the relay? I am just wondering if the length is a potential problem.

Should I put a larger ground wire on or is 4ga still good?

I did remove the old 10ga wire and pulled the yellow/white wire off and attached it to the relay. Would it be better to attach it straight to the battery?

Thanks!!

-Tom

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am with 5L5. Run the 1 3/4". Ran underdrives for a bit and didn't get the juice I needed for some odd reason. Now the pump and all electical runs better and volt meter is nailed at 14.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Do you see any problems using 8' of 4ga to my fuse and then 1.5' from the fuse to the relay? I am just wondering if the length is a potential problem.

Should I put a larger ground wire on or is 4ga still good?

4AWG is fine for 8-10ft.

Would it be better to attach it straight to the battery?
Battery to relay is <2ft, so, No, leave it attached to the relay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts