Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What spark plugs should I get for a N/A 2000 GT that will give me some more giddey-up than the stock Motorcraft plugs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
NGK TR-55's.

Bill

·
Registered
309 Posts
It shouldnt matter on a near stock motor. If you have good coils then you can increase the gap a bit but otherwise the stockers are good. If you look for the comparable plugs from like Autolite they are $4 each? I use Bosch and change them often. Spark plugs by themselves will never make you much faster; just make sure they are in good shape.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
liltim said:
It shouldnt matter on a near stock motor. If you have good coils then you can increase the gap a bit but otherwise the stockers are good. If you look for the comparable plugs from like Autolite they are $4 each? I use Bosch and change them often. Spark plugs by themselves will never make you much faster; just make sure they are in good shape.
True it won't give you 20RWHP however it does make a difference and along with other little things that will add up to something...but what would I know...

Bill

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Mustang92 said:
True it won't give you 20RWHP however it does make a difference and along with other little things that will add up to something...but what would I know...

Bill
Bill, I think I can speak for my band of brothers, when I say I think you are ready to join the G.F.Y.S Race Team!

How bout it, you gonna represent, or what?
joe

NGK-TR55s are a great NA plug. And cheap to boot.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I wound up with getting the ASWF-12C Motorcraft plugs when I got the rest of my Bullitt Intake kit. These are 2 heat ranges colder than stock, and they are copper. These are what were recommended to me by Randy Stinchcomb for the "spirited" driving that a lot of us here like to do.... for street and strip. At only ~$1.69 a pop, and went with them. Also, many here like the NGK TR-55's, and Autolite 764's gapped at .054. I figure the Motorcraft's will do ok. Anyone had these and like them???

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
96_Stang_99 said:
I wound up with getting the ASWF-12C Motorcraft plugs when I got the rest of my Bullitt Intake kit. These are 2 heat ranges colder than stock, and they are copper. These are what were recommended to me by Randy Stinchcomb for the "spirited" driving that a lot of us here like to do.... for street and strip. At only ~$1.69 a pop, and went with them. Also, many here like the NGK TR-55's, and Autolite 764's gapped at .054. I figure the Motorcraft's will do ok. Anyone had these and like them???
Unless your planning on a power adder you do realize that running two step cooler plug will hinder performance right? Cooler means cooler burning to prevent detonation when using a power adder when used in a NA car you will only lose power.

Joe, yes I think I'm ready to join the team!

Bill

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mustang92 said:
NGK TR-55's.

Bill
Ditto! That's what I run in the Bullitt.

Mark

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Mustang92 said:
Unless your planning on a power adder you do realize that running two step cooler plug will hinder performance right? Cooler means cooler burning to prevent detonation when using a power adder when used in a NA car you will only lose power.
Yeah, I understand that I don't want cooler burning N/A, except to avoid detonation, but can't you run more timing this way, and make more power, and still avoid detonation??? Or am I just missing the point altogether here??? Thanks for any help!!! :D

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
96_Stang_99 said:

Yeah, I understand that I don't want cooler burning N/A, except to avoid detonation, but can't you run more timing this way, and make more power, and still avoid detonation??? Or am I just missing the point altogether here??? Thanks for any help!!! :D
More timing isn't going to always make more power there is a point where advancing timing only hurts power this is a case where more is not always better. I can run up to 18* of timing in my car without detonation on the stock or TR-55 NGK plugs but the car made less power than it did with 10* of timing.

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't mess with spark plug design changes unless the engine is highly modified, and one has a detailed understanding of the mechanical/electrical impact on the combustion process. FoMoCo does a very good job specifying the plug. If a plug exists that would improve performance, Ford would install it in the vehicle at the factory in order to advertise more power.

Its possible to destroy the engine with too high a heat range or the incorrect plug dimensions.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Sparky7 said:
If a plug exists that would improve performance, Ford would install it in the vehicle at the factory in order to advertise more power.
Thats gotta be the funniest **** I have heard in a while.

You should have said, Ford would install it if it would save them .02 in production costs.

joe

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
RavenGT said:

Thats gotta be the funniest **** I have heard in a while.

You should have said, Ford would install it if it would save them .02 in production costs.

joe
Thank you Joe for saving me from having to say that.

Its possible to destroy the engine with too high a heat range or the incorrect plug dimensions.
Really and who is going to a higher heat range? I'm not the plugs I'm using are stock heat range, stock gap but copper which conducts better.

If a plug exists that would improve performance, Ford would install it in the vehicle at the factory in order to advertise more power.
Wrong the only thing Ford cares about is improving fuel economy that is why they remove things like floor mats from cars as standard options to improve MPG rating as well as install longer lasting platinum plugs. Ford doesn't care about the 1-2 HP gains or they would have the timing bumped to 14* and madate 93 octane in the GT something that could cost them nothing.

Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with the NGK TR-55's. Thanks alot guys. I plan to gap them @ .54. Anyone else have these and seen less denotation/more gas mileage gain/power, etc.???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bill:

You're right, there's a point at which no more timing can help, and starts to hinder. A colder plug helps you run off a "best case" timing table. What you will find is that there's a point where HP starts falling off, torque goes up a bit, then both drop rapidly.

In any case, uniform timing advances aren't the best way to add spark.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I run autolight 764's gapped at .55.Run great and cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts