Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First step of rebuilding my engine is picking pistons. I plan on going .030 over stock block, stock crank, stock rods. the goal is either going to be doing trick flow 170 fast as cast heads, or 190 11R's. Don't want to invest the money into stroking or going any bigger on the heads. just looking to put together a solid, aluminum headed 306 for the street.

I know the big names, JE, probe, ect., and I'm prepared to spend 700 ish dollars on pistons if need be, but was wondering if there are any other options out there?

I don't want to go towards the cheaper end of the spectrum like keith black, or speedpro because I hear they are heavy. The trick flow pistons are heavy if I do recall.

is a 306 worth spending money on 190 11r's and a custom cam for the street? i was just going to do 170 cast heads, and an off the shelf cam if the power difference is not worth writing home about.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Trickflow pistons are pretty light. I can tell you they're significantly lighter than factory. They're actually 2618 forged wiseco pistons sold under Trickflow. They even came in a wiseco box if I remember correctly.

The performance of which heads and cam you use is subject to your perception and budget. With that being said there will be a noticeable difference if done right.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The only true OTS piston that covers the standard TW valve relief is the dual pocket in the CP Bullet. The TW 11R doesn't need a relief unless you're running a very aggressive cam, even then It won't be much.....so you can use pretty much any piston.

Probe is built to order, pre engineered. We have an 11R dedicated part number, but I've fundamentally abandoned the standard TW due to lack of volume.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If your going to use stock rods then you need to get press fit piston's instead of full floating wrist pin piston's and this will narrow down the selection of piston's available. Some can be used as press fit or full floating but I never used any of them. I'd upgrade the stock rods to an aftermarket bushed I-beam rod so you can get a good set of full floating pistons. I've used JE, Probe, Ross,Diamond and Mahle pistons over the years all great pistons. Never used trickflow pistons but heard good things about them. I'm sure you would be happy with an off the shelf cam with your 306 build. Pretty much all the Anderson cams rock. Happy with my N-412 in my N/A 308. And happy with my B-41 in my blown 306.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If your going to use stock rods then you need to get press fit piston's instead of full floating wrist pin piston's and this will narrow down the selection of piston's available. Some can be used as press fit or full floating but I never used any of them. I'd upgrade the stock rods to an aftermarket bushed I-beam rod so you can get a good set of full floating pistons. I've used JE, Probe, Ross,Diamond and Mahle pistons over the years all great pistons. Never used trickflow pistons but heard good things about them. I'm sure you would be happy with an off the shelf cam with your 306 build. Pretty much all the Anderson cams rock. Happy with my N-412 in my N/A 308. And happy with my B-41 in my blown 306.
You are giving bad "information." A piston that is set up for floating pins can be used on press fit rods. Just leave the locks out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd consider upgrading the rods too...depending upon how you want to spin this engine...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'd consider upgrading the rods too...depending upon how you want to spin this engine...
Some arp rod bolts are pretty cheap insurance. I honestly think spending money on aftermarket rods is kind of a waste though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ARP rod bolts at a bare minimum; with the 190cc heads and compression increase via new pistons, I'd say he'll have enough breathing room to make the rods the weak link.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rod bolts have their place but how often do you hear of rod bolts in a stock block taking a dump before the block? Not a bad idea but something to consider. If that's the route you go it's worth noting buying replacement eagle or scat rods will make more financial sense than paying $70 for bolts plus the cost/time of reconditioning the factory rods.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Rod bolts have their place but how often do you hear of rod bolts in a stock block taking a dump before the block? Not a bad idea but something to consider. If that's the route you go it's worth noting buying replacement eagle or scat rods will make more financial sense than paying $70 for bolts plus the cost/time of reconditioning the factory rods.
I never said anything about reconditioning the rods. The factory ones will be fine with minimal work involved, assuming nothing out of the ordinary has happened.
Take old wrist pins out, Measure bores, put new ones in. Anything past this I’d probably just replace them.

·
Old timer
5,770 Posts
The only true OTS piston that covers the standard TW valve relief is the dual pocket in the CP Bullet. The TW 11R doesn't need a relief unless you're running a very aggressive cam, even then It won't be much.....so you can use pretty much any piston.

Probe is built to order, pre engineered. We have an 11R dedicated part number, but I've fundamentally abandoned the standard TW due to lack of volume.
What is this "off the shelf" you speak of?

🤣😆😁

😇

·
Registered
245 Posts
brush rods for floating pin.

·
Registered
895 Posts

so i have 205 11r heads on a 408 with any dish -22 piston it will be fine??

·
Registered
9 Posts
First step of rebuilding my engine is picking pistons. I plan on going .030 over stock block, stock crank, stock rods. the goal is either going to be doing trick flow 170 fast as cast heads, or 190 11R's. Don't want to invest the money into stroking or going any bigger on the heads. just looking to put together a solid, aluminum headed 306 for the street.

I know the big names, JE, probe, ect., and I'm prepared to spend 700 ish dollars on pistons if need be, but was wondering if there are any other options out there?

I don't want to go towards the cheaper end of the spectrum like keith black, or speedpro because I hear they are heavy. The trick flow pistons are heavy if I do recall.

is a 306 worth spending money on 190 11r's and a custom cam for the street? i was just going to do 170 cast heads, and an off the shelf cam if the power difference is not worth writing home about.

thanks in advance.
I had the tw heads many years ago I used the 170 with stock pistons. Eglin makes a kick ass cam for the tw 170. They factor in the lift of your cam with the tw 170. They will not hit if you buy the cam for those heads with oe pistons. Just make sure you set up your valve geometry correctly or you will be installing in new valve guides. Buy 2 adjustibile push rods to set up your roller rockers. Because the more the machine shop decks the block the shorter the push rod is gonna be. Call up trick flow tech line for the contact pattern you need to have during set up. It's not hard. I've had friends that thought they knew better on setting them up. And after 3 days the engine had massive oil consumption due to blown out valve guides. Don't make the mistake they made. Valve guides aren't cheap.

·
Old timer
5,770 Posts
Who did the internal milling on those?
Diamond - special "289" stuff... 😁

Toby found me the Ultra-Lite rods for this oddball deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts