Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Lincoln Mark VII and I want to know what parts I need to do a 4 disc 5 lug conversion? Do I need the master cylinder and brake lines? What about any internal parts for the axles, are they 31 or 28 spindle axles? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
844 Posts
5 lug mark v11

You need the spindles, calipers, rotors or new rotors. Your M/C should be okay & the brake lines are just where they need to be. No changing. Also if interested i have everything you need in like new cond. FRAN

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
A drum brake MC will not push enough fluid to work disk brakes...ESPECIALLY the large SVO-style 54mm calipers out back.

Up front, all you need is rotors. You don't need the spindles. Your stock 60mm calipers would work fine but you should step up to the 73mm calipers

With the 73mm front calipers and the 54mm rears calipers, you should run the SVO master cylinder. 84-90 Mark VII's use the same 4-wheel disk brakes as SVO Mustangs.

For the rear, keep in mind the track will be pushed out 1.25" each side due to the longer axles. You can modify the caliper brackets and run ranger axles to keep the stock track.

Here's the website showing you how to modify the rear setup.
http://home.pacbell.net/black306/tech/reardisc.html

I ran the Mark VII/SVO disk setup for a while, now i'm switching the fronts to 13" Cobra disks. If you have any other questions about the SVO setup, feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
884 Posts
duffman
Mustang5L5 has the right idea but you should grab the master cyl and proportion valve from the mark. and defiantly run the mark front calipers. as far as making the ebrake work if you run the mark axels/brakes you can add a 2" long spacer made from 1/2 in galvanized pipe and weld it to where the mark cable goes into the bracket other wise brake cables will hit the tires. also their is a bracket on the end of the mark cable that you can cut a slit in one side to slip it off of the mark cable and put it on your stock cable I can send you pics of what i am talking about.
heres a list of what you need from mark 7

master cyl non ABS
brake lines from mc/ to prop valve non ABS
proportion non ABS
Front calipers
front rotors
rear axles
rear calipers
rear rotors
rear caliper brackets
e brake cables
all nuts and bolts you remove

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
You shouldnt use the proportioning valve set up for the Mark 7 on a Mustang. The weight bias and proportioning needs are completely different. The Mark 7 has a lot of rear overhang so it has more weight and leverage over the rear wheels than a Mustang.

You should just gut your stock prop valve and install a Wilwood adjustable unit. It will allow you to dial in the bias correctly.

Also, the Mark 7 master cylinders are steel while the SVO ones are a lighter aluminum unit.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My 89 5.0 vert stops fine with the mark 7 prop valve also the master cyl is alum! SVO and Mark 7 used same master cyl according to my part guy at ford same part number in book. All my parts came from the wreaking yard $100 4 wheel disc 5 lug swap but I used 94 front rotors in the rear with the Mark 7 calipers and modified brackets with Aerostar van right side axles to space the wheel in.
I took it out and made several panic stops from 45 up 100 and it stops straight and true
Have used Wilwood prop valves on 4 wheel disc swap in the past dont like them my self the start leaking after about a year or so of everyday driving have tryed with the knob/handel mounted up down and sideways still leaked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts