Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mustang is an '82 and had a V6 but now has no engine and no trans. I have a '79 LTD(signature) and I want to put my engine and tranny in it. The stang is totally stock and had/has y pipe for exhaust.

I've gone through and collected information about what I'll need to get it running with dual exhaust and so far I have parts that I'm gonna get from summit:

Part # Item Price Qty Line Total Select
------------------------------------------------------------------------

FMS-M5059A
Fox chassis, double hump, transmission crossmember ...
$68.88

FMS-M8005C
Ford:1979-93 5.0L Mustang, two row radiator ...
$247.95

HOK-6223
Ford/Mercury: 1979-93 351W Mustang/Capri, black painted, Super Competition headers
$419.95

SUM-640725
H-PIPE 2.5 86-93 5.0 MUSTANG...
$109.95

I will work on the rest of the exhaust later, so I'm not worried about that, but what do I do about fuel lines and such. on a V6 is the fuel pump on the side of the block like a 351?? or how does that work??
and I know I'll need to do something about the hood but I'm not worried about that at the moment either.

If there are any other more technical parts that are NEEDED to get it running please let me know

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
603 Posts
Get MAC or BBK 351 swap headers (cheaper)$250.00 Shorties $320.00 for longtubes.
You can find a new double hump crossmember cheaper else where $40.00.
Go to PepBoys and get a replacement 3 core radiator there for $100.00-$120.00.

You can also get on eBay and find most of the rest of these parts there for even more of a $$$$ savings.

http://www.macperformance.com/index.cfm

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only prob with the headers is that the MAC and BBK's dont work with Automatic transmissions
but the other stuff sounds like a good idea, Thanks a bunch, I love savin money
the Oil pan I think will work
I've heard that people use Crown Vic oil pans and that's what my car is basically just a little older
it's a dual sump oil pan
thanks a ton

Tyler

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and by headers, I mean the long tube, which is what I want

Tyler

·
Registered
779 Posts
Is the summit H pipe you listed for shorties or for long tubes?

You might need some parts for the tranny shift linkage to go from column shift to floor shift.

The stock 2bbl 351W setup might clear the stock hood, but if you put a 4bbl on it might need a scoop.

Maybe use convertible mounts to put the motor a little lower in the chassis.

Are you sure it was a v6 and not an inline 6?

Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, it could have been inline, but I was told that the mounts will work/are the same(compared to V8)

the engine is built up(signature) and I'm not sure about whether the h pipe is for long tube or shorty headers

I stuck a B&M Unimatic floor shifter in my car so I"m swapping directly

Tyler

·
Registered
779 Posts
The I6 cyl cars have a different crossmember in the Mustang that does not work easily with the v8 engines. 4cyl, v6, and v8 cars can use the same crossmember. You could look at the digit on the vin for the engine code to find out what engine came in the 82.

If you are running the hooker headers, ask hooker if they make an offroad pipe that works with their headers. Mac and BBK make long tubes and the matching offroad pipe.

Your torque convertor from the big car might be too tight in the lighter mustang.

Go with a 3 row radiator of better with the 351W motor.

Sounds like a nice swap.

Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, thanks a lot
I was looking to buy a new Double Hump crossmember anyway, so I can put dual exhaust on it
I dont have the car yet, so I cant check the VIN, it's up about 250 miles away,

I was gonna go up and get it this weekend, but my dad wants to do something, and I forgot it was Valentines day on Sat, so I gotta do stuff with my girlfriend,
so hopefully next weekend I'll be bringing it down, then I gotta save up for the headers, radiator, crossmember, and h/x pipe

thanks
Tyler

·
Registered
779 Posts
You might be able to find all those parts used and save some money. Those double hump crossmembers came stock on the later year 4cyl fox cars and on some mid 80s tbirds.

If your car is going to be more of a street car, the BBK headers and matching h might be more affordable than the Hookers.

Griffin makes a 31" universal aluminum radiator that costs under $200 and adapts to the Fox stang easily. It cools awesome too.

Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright, sweet
only thing about BBK and other brand headers, is they wont fit an automatic trans, I even called them about it, and I dont really feel like bending/welding the headers to fit, haha
thanks a lot though, I gotta start calling up junk yards n such

Tyler

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the car turns out to have had an I6 I have a v-8 k member I'd sell you cheap. It's already out of the car and I could meet you around flint with it. If interested just give me some advance notice cause it's up in Midland right now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright, cool
I'll let you know if I need it once I get the car

Thanks
Tyler

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I believe the 4cyl and V8 K-frames are the same, but the '87 up K-frames are like 30lbs lighter. Can anyone confirm this? Also I helped a friend convert his '82 notch from 4cyl auto to 351 5 speed. He is running an old Offy 4V intake that mates up properly to the DO0E early 351 heads he is running. He used the '93 convertible 5.0 engine mounts and a FMS 351 swap oil pan which McCarville Ford had IN STOCK. He tried using the F-250 truck pan but it hit the rack. ALSO, his sway bar now hit the front sump. This was fixed by useing the long mounting brackets off of a late 90s mustang. His setup fits neatly under his stock hood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts