Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing I can see that would effect my octane requirements is my timing, which is set at 14 degrees BTDC. Other than that, just a few bolt ons, stock heads and shortblock, etc.

I've been running 92 octane in my car for awhile, but it's getting expensive...is it even necessary for me to run 92? Would 87 work just fine? I've never even tried 87, so I have no idea! :)

--Brian.

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
Run it down close to empty and put a few gallons of 87 in it. Run it hard with the windows closed and see if it pings. If not, you're good to go with the 87. Just watch it a bit when the weather gets really hot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea, thanks man.

Sometimes the most obvious answers are the hardest ones to realize :)

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
My car runs just fine w/ 87. Damn Cali gas prices are steep!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run 91, with a bottle of NOS octane booster, injector cleaner

through the tank. But then, I only drive the car on a couple of Saturdays per month. It's done its time in the elements, so now in her retirement, she only comes out of the garage when it is nice. Anyone know if it is worth even putting the NOS booster in the tank, other than cleaning the injectors?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What MFE said works. I have 89 in there right now with 14 degrees of timing, no pinging. Haven't gone down to 87 yet though.

You can also mess with it at the track. Just advance till the mph drops off and back it off a bit for safety.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Dude!....you own a v8 mustang...hello.....gas is gonna be expensive any way you look at it...........put the timing at 10 and go with 87 ....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blk88 said:
Dude!....you own a v8 mustang...hello.....gas is gonna be expensive any way you look at it...........put the timing at 10 and go with 87 ....
HAH! My Mustang gets better mileage than ANY vehicle I've ever owned, it's my 7th vehicle.

fwiw I went with 89 today :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts