Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told 93 but its getting nothing but more expensive here. I seem to be getting worse mileage than before the swap and I know that with the old 87 I was getting better mileage but im wondering if I can at least use 89 ? I know Shell stations here have like 91 octane. I put the 89 in tonight and so far no problems I have the timing at 11 should I go back to 10 ? Or what ? Is it mandatory ? is anyone here using less is what i need to know.... thanks Rob

·
Registered
847 Posts
if it's not tuned your car is gonna run rich as hell, my friends did anyway after the swap and no tune. after my headswap i got a tune from fordchip.com very happy with it. pm if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
729 Posts
mine ran just fine after the swap with no tune, heck its still going but I am sure there is some more power there. I am running 89 on stock timing for now just fine

·
Registered
498 Posts
98Demon said:
if it's not tuned your car is gonna run rich as hell, my friends did anyway after the swap and no tune. after my headswap i got a tune from fordchip.com very happy with it. pm if you have any other questions.
do they have a chip specific to headswapped 96-98s?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I run 93 all the time. I'd like to try 89 though. You will have to listen for detonation under full throttle to find out. I am also on stock 10' timing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
you can use the least amount of octane that doesn't give you detanation (pinging) I personally, would advance the timing to like 14-15 and run 93. You would pick up some noticeable power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try another gas company

I used to put Shell since I moved to another city but changed back to Petro Canada (I'm in Toronto)

Shell I think has changed their gas formula to make it environmentlty friendlier. I noticed a considereable drop in milage since I used Shell and decided to change back. My initial change to Shell was because it was closer to home...

Maybe Maybe not... but worth a try!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i dont really care about adding any more power than what i got now so id rather just get best mileage...thanks ttt Rob

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hey dog bite have fun with premium in Toronto=$4.00+ a gallon. Here it cost me $18-20 with 89 back home its $35-37!! I'm not looking forward to that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts