Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I just finished putting a full exhaust and 3:73 gears on my 97' Cobra. With that out of the way, what shall I do next? :confused: I want to try to get around 300 RWHP NA. This will take just about every bolt on. This is what I want to do and here are my questions.

1. Performance Chip. Which would be a good chip to go with? People tell me Diablo is the best.

2. Pulleys. What pulleys are good to buy? Steeda? I don't want to hear any squeeks, that sounds terrible.

3. Cool Air Intake. What is a good system to buy? The 87mm ProM with the WMS Velocity tube or Densecharger?

Did I miss anything? Thanks for your help. :D

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If full exhaust includes LT headers too, you should get a tune definately, they make you run rich...and if you aren't on a budget, all those other things should be on your list to get, they should all help you get to 300rwhp...I'd also look at the UPR power pipe, a lot of 300hp guys use that (as well as myself, 12hp short of 300, hopefully LT's will get me there when the time comes)

Have you dynoed it since you added the exhaust? If so what are you putting down now?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
missouri_guy1973 said:
If full exhaust includes LT headers too, you should get a tune definately, they make you run rich...and if you aren't on a budget, all those other things should be on your list to get, they should all help you get to 300rwhp...I'd also look at the UPR power pipe, a lot of 300hp guys use that (as well as myself, 12hp short of 300, hopefully LT's will get me there when the time comes)

Have you dynoed it since you added the exhaust? If so what are you putting down now?
My estimate with FMS shorty headers, BBK Hpipe W/CATs, Flowmaster American Thunder system, and K&N W/ removed silencer is ~280 RWHP. Might be more or less. A guy with the same Hpipe and CATback only was getting 279 RWHP. I can't find a dyno around here. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
HEY DOOD DO YOUR HOMEWORK, AND TAKE THIS ADVICE

HEY DUDE, IF U DONT PLAN ON BUYING A SUPERCHARGER THEN, THE LONGTUBES WILL BE A WASTE , HERES WHY: L/T'S COST$500, LABOR COST$$350-400, EXTRA O2 SENSOR HARWARE COST $75 & AUTO LOGIC CHIP CUSTOM COST $350 =$1,675 ALL AT ALTERNATIVE AUTO. THIS PRICE IS HALF OF VORTECH.

NEXT STEP IF U PLAN TO GET THE SUPERCHARGER THEN GET THE TUBES. NEXT STEP DONT GET PULLIES U WILL HAVE TO USE STOCK PULLIES FOR MORE POWER WITH THE SUPERCHARGER. IF U DONT GET VORTECH THEN AND ONLY THEN PURCHASE MARCH, STEEDA OR ASP PULLIES. GET A C&L OR PRO M 80MM, U WILL LOSE TORQUE WITH A 87MM AND U WANT YOUR BOTTOM END TOURQUE. PURCHASE CHIP WITH TUBE TO KILL UP AND DOWN IDLE.

AUTO LOGIC CHIP IS BEST. NO DIABLO
FFRP SHORTYS R A WAST OF MONEY, THEY COST $389 & INSTALLATION SAME AS LONGTUBES. U ONLY GAINING 5HP U CANT FEEL THAT IN A WET DREAM.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: HEY DOOD DO YOUR HOMEWORK, AND TAKE THIS ADVICE

smoove kobra said:
HEY DUDE, IF U DONT PLAN ON BUYING A SUPERCHARGER THEN, THE LONGTUBES WILL BE A WASTE , HERES WHY: L/T'S COST$500, LABOR COST$$350-400, EXTRA O2 SENSOR HARWARE COST $75 & AUTO LOGIC CHIP CUSTOM COST $350 =$1,675 ALL AT ALTERNATIVE AUTO. THIS PRICE IS HALF OF VORTECH.

NEXT STEP IF U PLAN TO GET THE SUPERCHARGER THEN GET THE TUBES. NEXT STEP DONT GET PULLIES U WILL HAVE TO USE STOCK PULLIES FOR MORE POWER WITH THE SUPERCHARGER. IF U DONT GET VORTECH THEN AND ONLY THEN PURCHASE MARCH, STEEDA OR ASP PULLIES. GET A C&L OR PRO M 80MM, U WILL LOSE TORQUE WITH A 87MM AND U WANT YOUR BOTTOM END TOURQUE. PURCHASE CHIP WITH TUBE TO KILL UP AND DOWN IDLE.

AUTO LOGIC CHIP IS BEST. NO DIABLO
FFRP SHORTYS R A WAST OF MONEY, THEY COST $389 & INSTALLATION SAME AS LONGTUBES. U ONLY GAINING 5HP U CANT FEEL THAT IN A WET DREAM.

I never said anything about a supercharger or Longtubes. Read my post. You don't have anything to justify what you said. I don't appreciate the CAPs or being called "DUDE".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
missouri_guy1973 said:
Hmmm...noobs know best:rolleyes:

LT's are a waste I guess:rolleyes: :bs: :blam:
Hello, I went to your website and read you have these mods. How have these worked out for you?

UPR Powerpipe- What is this exactly? This like the WMS velocity tube? Where did you get this?

Pro-M 80mm MAF w/big mouth K&N- Where did you get this?

BBK underdrive pulleys- How did these work out for you? Do they squeak?

-Thanks

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
UPR power pipe is from http://uprproducts.com and it's worked pretty well for me so far...here's a picture of it...some people say the open air element draws in hot air from the engine but a lot of the faster cars use them and dont' seem to have an issue with that...I used to have a BBK full cold air kit, but it didn't work as well as the UPR does...

I got the Pro-M 80mm MAF from a guy on here used for about half of what the are new...that's also worked well for me, but I think it's making me run rich in the colder air cause my gas milage this winter has really been suffering...I need to get my chip tuned with the new MAF on there since it was there when I got my chip...

My BBK pulleys work well, they do squeak and I've replaced my belt once because of it and they just started doing it again recently...but that's a common problem on the 97 Cobras...They say it's from the tensioner pulley though and not the aftermarket ones...I did feel a seat of the pants gain from the pulleys though...If I were to do it over I would have gotten the ASP or Steeda pulleys since they have an integrated balancer on the crank pulley where the BBK's crank pulley is bolted piggyback style onto the stock one...I only got the BBK's cause I didn't know any better when I got my car and they were polished aluminum and I thought it would "spruce up" the engine compartment by making it look better...

Sorry about the short story essay, but I hope it helps you out...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
missouri_guy1973 said:
UPR power pipe is from http://uprproducts.com and it's worked pretty well for me so far...here's a picture of it...some people say the open air element draws in hot air from the engine but a lot of the faster cars use them and dont' seem to have an issue with that...I used to have a BBK full cold air kit, but it didn't work as well as the UPR does..

I got the Pro-M 80mm MAF from a guy on here used for about half of what the are new...that's also worked well for me, but I think it's making me run rich in the colder air cause my gas milage this winter has really been suffering...I need to get my chip tuned with the new MAF on there since it was there when I got my chip...

My BBK pulleys work well, they do squeak and I've replaced my belt once because of it and they just started doing it again recently...but that's a common problem on the 97 Cobras...They say it's from the tensioner pulley though and not the aftermarket ones...I did feel a seat of the pants gain from the pulleys though...If I were to do it over I would have gotten the ASP or Steeda pulleys since they have an integrated balancer on the crank pulley where the BBK's crank pulley is bolted piggyback style onto the stock one...I only got the BBK's cause I didn't know any better when I got my car and they were polished aluminum and I thought it would "spruce up" the engine compartment by making it look better...

Sorry about the short story essay, but I hope it helps you out...

Np, this helped me out a lot. One last thing... How is the Auto Logic chip? Where did you get it and will I be able to install it myself? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I got my car tuned with that autologic chip at Cerra Racing in Rock Island Illinois...kinda far from you...if you are looking for just a mail order chip that'll help some there's been good words from JMS, fordchip.com, and diablo(send a message to onerichrunner on here about the diablos)...Basically with a mail order you tell them your mods and they burn a chip that'll work best with what you have done to your car...they are easy to install, just pull out the kick panel under the passenger side dash where your computer is and it just plugs into the access port on the top of it...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
missouri_guy1973 said:
I got my car tuned with that autologic chip at Cerra Racing in Rock Island Illinois...kinda far from you...if you are looking for just a mail order chip that'll help some there's been good words from JMS, fordchip.com, and diablo(send a message to onerichrunner on here about the diablos)...Basically with a mail order you tell them your mods and they burn a chip that'll work best with what you have done to your car...they are easy to install, just pull out the kick panel under the passenger side dash where your computer is and it just plugs into the access port on the top of it...
I have decided what I am going to do. I'm going to get Steeda Pulleys and a Diable Sport Chip. However, I still can't make up my mind about the intake. I only have the K&N Filter.. Here are my options.

1. Get the PowerPipe from the TB to MAF, leave the stock MAF in, and get a WMS Velocity tube from the MAF to fenderwell. This sound like a good idea? I don't want to pay $299 and lose low end torque with the ProM 80mm MAF.

2. Get a Densecharger..Their entire system is $169. However, does it work well? I don't want to put junk in my car, what have you heard about these?

3. Just get a standard CAI intake that bolts from MAF to fenderwell ( BBK, MAC, WMS Velocity tube ) and slap my K&N filter on it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
People seem to have good results from all three, UPR, WMS, and the Densechargers...Whichever you go with I'd get the full fenderwell to throttle body unit though...People like the Densechargers since they are plastic and they reduce heat soak into the intake and they are cheaper, but really, $169 for a plastic piece seems steep to me...it's your call though...WMS does make a full fender->TB kit now I think too...

And with your mods, a MAF really isn't going to do you much...I have that modified intake so the better flow from the Pro-M helps me out a little...

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would agree with the above.
You definatly want to replace the MAF to Throttle body Hose as that is pretty restrictive.

I built my own after looking at the Densecharger system, but to avoid the hassels you may want to just outright purchase the Entire system from Densecharger.
I only saved $40-50 doing it myself, most of the cost in the kit is the filter, the MAF flange and the Custom piece for the EGR hoses.

But I picked up a solid 1-1.5-2mph with the cold air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts