Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, once my car is through it will be mostly set up for street and handling... i was wondering what i need to do to get 275 tires all around... the back isnt too bad... i have good lower control arms so i can just take out the quad shocks and i guess bang out the inside of the fender well... if i have to then on the outside of the well ill do the baseball bat trick... but main concern is what must be done to get the 275's in front... theres alot of stuff in the way there...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also... will 275's fit on the 16x7 (i believe is the width) 5 star ponies? i like those wheels

·
Registered
253 Posts
put 275/60r15 on the back of my pony monday w/the TC diff i didnt have to baseball bat mod anything and can still run the quads they mounted to the 15x7 ok but to get full use outta them they should be on 8 inch rims,ya can see them cup slightly
if your gonna get inta triing to make them fit all the way around for auto X what series tire you planning on? the 60s are like riding on ballons
the 275 is allmost 11" of tread the less sidewall ya run the wider the rim needs to be
gl on the front sounds like a clearence nightmare might wanna consider running 245ish on the front

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks, sorry i dont know too much about wheels and tires... im still learning in every area... im only 17...

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is a guy that posts here all the time named Darius Rudis, he has an LX that I belive he is running 275 on all four corners on.

I am running 255's up front and 275's in the rear on 17X9 Cobra R wheels. The 255's are wide enough for me, but my car is just a fun daily driver.

Another option you might be interested in are the Mavromount (I think that is the company name) 17" Pony wheels, they look just like your Ponys but are 17" I am not sure how wide they are though if they come in an 8" width that might get you closer, but that is still too narrow for a 17" 275. My dad ran a 275 on his stock 97 GT wheels (17X8) and they offered less traction that the 245's that were on them before. This is because the narrow wheel pinches the tire causing the traction surface to look like this U as opposed to this _ when viewed from behind.

HTH,
Gabe

·
Registered
489 Posts
I ran 275-40-17's on Borbet 17x8.5" rims with 5" Backspacing I think. That was on my '86.

I had to loose the quad shocks (southside bars used) and I rolled the inner fender lips up alot. Also added air lift bags in rear springs to keep the fenders from hitting the rubber. Worked great.

I am now working on 275-40-17's on Cobra 17x9" rims for my '93 coupe. 6" backspacing on these 95 Cobra wheels.

Roll fender lips in rear!!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
good luck in the front!!! HAHAHA!!!

My 245/50/ZR16 bridgestone potenza re730s rubbed in the front where the front c-cup jobby bolts to the fender. (directly in front of the tire) 275s are gonna be CRAZY to fit under there, and its NOT going to work with a 7" wide tire. For a 275" you really should have a 9" wheel!! A 275 tire on a 7" wheel will be ballooned out pretty badly.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, yeah everyone is telling me this... well im not making it a full on circle track car so maybe 275's all around would be odd drive everyday for stearing... what do you all think about 265 or maybe 275 in back with 245's in front?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
id go with 245/45 on a 16x8 wheel. Sure you can fit 245s on a 7" wheel, but 8" will fit them much better....

wide wheels are the hot setup...

·
Registered
351 Posts
re: 275's all around

i wanted to do this too. check out drudis's web page. he runs 275's. i did a lot of research on it and decided against it. 275's will need a lot of clearancing up front and a bit in the back. also 275's will put more stress on your power steering and decrease your gas mileage. then i lowered my car 1" further complicating the clearance issues. oh well :(

anyhow, if you're serious about 275's you will definitely want to go to a 9" wide rim.

now i presume you are doing this to improve handling. with that said you will not want to run wider tires in the back than the front. doing so increases understeer, something no mustang needs.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I'm thinking if you want to improve handling, you should be looking at getting a panhard bar for the rear...not a wider tire.

Rear axle lateral movement is what makes mustangs wild rides, and a larger tire will just put a bandaid on the real problem.

Also, if you want better traction there are a couple ways to go with tires: Wider and a different compound. I'd take a different (better) compound tire over a wider one any day. While it looks cool...a 8" wide slick will hook better than a 16" wide 80,000mile continental all season tire.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The question would be why? :) 275s in the rear if you have a 9inch wheel. Sure, you can squeeze them on some smaller wheels, but it just buckles them in on the edges and gives you crappy traction. The most I would stretch a 275 on to would be an 17x8 wheel which would be the the ones that GBH suggested.

Forget about 275s in the front, its going to be bad all around - ride like crap, rub and track all over the place.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah... well currently im running 255 in back and 225 in front with no issues in front... my friend has 255's all around but hes at stock ride height and he still rubs every now and then... whats the widest tire with little modification involved for the front? yes its true the compound CAN be more important then width but id take a 275 in the rear with the right compound then a 225 with that same compound, right? by the way i was gonna do the maximum motor sport pan hard bar before i even start looking at new wheels and tires... im planning my project ahead of time... my sig shows what its GOING to be, i have about 60% of that suspension stuff done and should be fully done with everything besides the pan hard bar in about a month... as for motor i have a fraction of that done... after suspension and frame its diff and gears... then nitrous, then the big money (motor), so what would be the widest you all would run in the front... it would be optimal to have all around the same width right? for more control in the slide... in this case why does the new zo6 (i know this is a stang form but the 03 cobra has same all around so i couldnt use the example) have 245 in front and 265 in back? well just let me know what you all think, by the way if i say something stupid dont flame me... i mess up often, im still learning like ive said before

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
5LfromHELL said:
but id take a 275 in the rear with the right compound then a 225 with that same compound, right?
Not always. if you put both of those tires on a 7inch wheel, the 225 will probably hook just as good as the 275 if not better - and with less road noise and even tire wear.

Point is, match the width of the tire to the correct size wheel or it will not handle correctly, hook or last.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
o yeah... i figured that... i mean id rather have the 275 on an 8" or 9'' wheel the the 225 on the 7''

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea... i should have said what i ment in the first place... anyways main question here is this... What is the best wheel/tire combo for what im looking for? im looking for 300-350 rwhp from the motor N/A then a 100-150 shot of nitrous for the straight away ;) so as for suspension i have already done the tokkico 3 way adjustables, the eibachs, the granatelli's go in tommarow, and the uppers are in... im doing sub frames, the k member brace, and strut tower brace very soon after... then i need to save cash for the pan hard bar... after that its diff and gears... i think ive gone through this way too many times so ill stop... but anyhow i just want to know the best wheel/tire combo front to back that would be optimal for me...

·
Registered
489 Posts
As I mentioned above, I ran 274-40-17's on ALL FOUR CORNERS and loved it on my '86 GT.

Then we installed them on 4 lug 17x9 fake cobra wheels on my buddies '89 GT Vert. He loves them too.

Guess what?? I am going to run them on all four corners of my '93 coupe now too.

Its not rocket science! Corners like no tomorrow. Yes, it rubs at full lock in tight parking lot manuevers. So what? Don't turn it all the way when it rubs.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
decisions, decisions

1 - 20 of 24 Posts