Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what lubricant should i run in my T5, when i got the car it was a complete rag, ive replaced the engine, and now im just going through and making it mechanically sound elsewhere as well before i put it on the road, so what lube should i use for the tranny?? and how much

thanks

Corey

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Redline D4 ATF - this is the *only* stuff you should put in a T5. When I changed my tranny fluid, I didn't research this enough and went with what the clowns at NAPA suggested which was their regular gear oil. The car shifted like crap especially 1st to 2nd. Found out I should have used the red line - once I changed it out and put in the redline, she shifted as smooth as a baby's bottom. It will take about 2.5 to 2.7 quarts to fill out - runs about $8-9 a quart.

Howard

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
The Redline as mentioned above or make sure it is at least Dexron III ATF. I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic in my T-5"Z."

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i think ill use some mobil 1 synthetic ATF or maybe some royal purple...

Thanks guys!!!

Corey

·
Registered
984 Posts
gear oil if its a non world class (pre 1985)
What have you been smoking? ALL T-5's that were put in the Stangs use ATF. The SROD that were in the 82 and part of the 83GT's use gear oil. If you wanna spend the extra $ on synthectic ATF go for it. You really don't need to. Like what the post said above any dextron III will do. I ran redline ATF in my 91 and swapped out to regular ATF dextron III after clutch swap and noticed no differance.
You will need almost 3 qrts.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ray I saw nothing in that link about gear oil. The reason I know the 83-up Stangs that came with the T-5 use ATF is my first Mustang I bought in 1991 was a 83GT 63k orriginal miles with a 5 spd and it had ATF in it. The SROD did use gear oil I know that cuz I have had 2 82GT's with SROD. What makes you think that pre 85 T-5's in Mustangs use gear lube?

·
Registered
706 Posts
actually gm synchromesh is the best stuff you can use. you can get it at any gm parts counter. about 3 quarts should do it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If memory serves me correct the gm synchromesh is recommended on the 3550 not T-5. :confused:

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
no, if you look at the very bottom of the linked page and read that last bit they mention 70 weight gear oil for NWC transmissions. Your transmission could have had the oil changed out prior to your buying it. Still I am not saying that they absolutely positively used gear oil; that site is my only reference thus far. But iin any event the gear oil does sound like a better choice since the older transmissions had no roller bearings on the 1-3 gearset, and a heavier oil would combat wear in that area better (the gears slide around the shaft rather than riding on something that rolls).

thats a real nice lookin car BTW.

·
Registered
24,700 Posts
You should use what it came with. Good old Ford mercon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ray III said:
gear oil if its a non world class (pre 1985)

otherwise ATF

5.3 pints
All t-5 runs atf fluilds.My tranny is an 83 and it takes atf.Napa and autozone can tell you the right fluids to put in it

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks. I tradded it off on a 89 LX back in Feb 92. It's still on the road somewhere in Kansas with over 140k on it now according to carfax.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mikejb said:
What have you been smoking? ALL T-5's that were put in the Stangs use ATF. The SROD that were in the 82 and part of the 83GT's use gear oil. If you wanna spend the extra $ on synthectic ATF go for it. You really don't need to. Like what the post said above any dextron III will do. I ran redline ATF in my 91 and swapped out to regular ATF dextron III after clutch swap and noticed no differance.
You will need almost 3 qrts.
listen, i appreciate the info, but no need to put somebody down, nothing wrong with correcting someone, but after reading his link im not so sure he was wrong in the first place...in any event the pre 83 dont mean **** to me, as mine is an 87, i hope you will re think your comments next time or go flex your muscles on some other forum, people like you are ruining this one:barf:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i should have said people that make similar comments, not people like you, im sure your really a nice guy and it just kinda came out wrong, but still, the guys that come in and think they are proving everybody else wrong and trying to make em feel bad about it at the sametime, as if they are releasing some sort of revelation, truly make me sick

·
Registered
984 Posts
I tell ya what. Don't believe everything you read on here. There are some folks that give BS info. I call Rays info missinformed not BS info. The info I try to give people here is from personal experience. Once in awhile I might take a stab at a problem someone might have. By the looks at your sig on your 87 (nice set-up btw) you mean to tell me you don't know what fluid T-5 takes? I made a mistake asking Ray what he was smoking and needed to ask you. :confused: I agree this thread is getting old.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i know whats recommended for the T5, i figured id just get on here and see if there was some other fluid that was even better than the plain jane recommended stuff, but no need for me to have to explain my self in that respect, "and you mean you didnt know what kind of fluid..." muah ha...awesome man, keep those tiny little insults comin, also, the only 5 speeds ive had any experience with so far are the tremecs that have been run in my truck and in my stepdads car...well his car is too beast for the tremec now so hes runnin a c-4...in any event, i dont smoke anything, and im sure youve thoroughly enjoyed yourself

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh yeah, and thanks again guys, for the info and such, i think my visits to this thread are over

Corey

1 - 20 of 25 Posts