Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as you know I'm getting an 03 Cobra but what I want to know is what type of rear end should i get since I heard the irs isnt so go at the track. help me out guys

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wait until you get the car and drive it on the track before you decide you don't want the IRS. If the car going to be mainly a drag race car or mainly a street car?

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
God bless you. :joy: I was hoping someone would do that.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
All I know is if the 03 is like my 99, you will want to rip the IRS out ASAP. I am just waiting to find a good deal on a live axle and my IRS is going to be long gone!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The live axle swap is at the top of the "mod list" for my 03, when it shows up. I had already got a live axle from a 00 GT prior to my 99 being totaled. Had the axle tubes welded, got 31 spline superior axles, a locker , steel bearing cap, stud girdle cover and 4.56's. Now I'm wondering if I should step down to 4.30's. I had 4.56's in my 99 Cobra, put it had a higher redline. Not too sure about the 03's 6500rpm redline and the 4.56's. Any opinions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like a good setup. I know **** about axels so i need help in this area. hmm, I'm thinking for going 4:10's. Hmm, this car will be mainly street and once in a great while track use.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Markies2003Cobra said:
Ok, as you know I'm getting an 03 Cobra but what I want to know is what type of rear end should i get since I heard the irs isnt so go at the track. help me out guys
Have you ever driven an IRS equiped Cobra? I am guessing that you have not so I would give the car a little time before you worry about swapping it out. If you are just into drag racing and care about every last hundreth than go for it, but I think you mentioned that your car will only see occasional track duty. With that being said the IRS is so much better in "normal" driving as compared to a live axle. Hope it works out for you either way but I would give the IRS a chance, **** you are paying extra for it. Later Ron

·
Registered
253 Posts
doesn't the 03 cobra have the upgraded cobra R irs setup?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts