Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the seals on my '89. Do I need to buy Ford seals or can I just pick up some seals from the local auto parts store? I need something to get me by until I can save up for the AFR's that I want.

Teflon, Rubber, what type? Just generic ones?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Go to local auto parts store, and tell then you want the premium valve stem seals. They should have them, or could get them. I know they come in a gasket set for the Cobra.

Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
706 Posts
i had my heads done recently and the machine shop put some kind of teflon seals in. he said trhat these were the best ones so if i were you i'd call a speed shop or summit and try to get a hold of something better than you can get at your local pep boys.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Since I port heads for a living, I think I am experienced enough to give good advice. Besides, he is wanting to get new heads later on.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I just want something that will suffice for 6 months or so. I would go with teflon or something like that if I were building new or rebuilding these heads. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
706 Posts
badboss351:

i wasn't putting your advice down, so don't be so defensive. i'm just thinking along the lines that a set of valve stem seals aren't very expensive so why not get the better ones? it's not like the difference in cost between a cast crank and a forged crank.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I personally hate teflon seals. They are hard and brittle compared to normal elastomers and they can crack when installing them, sometimes they crack and you don't even know it. Anyway, for stock heads, I have used Felpro Viton positive type seals. They are the same part for intake and exhaust. If they try to tell you otherwise, they're wrong.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I agree with Billy. They are FORD stock equipment for P heads. I get them for about $1. each. Made by Viton. Get them from Felpro or Ford, just ask for GT40 P seals for a 98 or newer Explorer with a 5.0.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
DO NOT cheap out on the valv seals....I found half the valve seals from my old 88 mustang in pieces sitting at the bottom of the oil pan...I dont know exactly how many miles they had on them but they were rebuilt by some ghetto mother****er by the person who owned it before me..that could also be why they did that...I wish I knew exactly what hind they are but I had no way of finding out....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts