Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bore out a hole from where I broke off a bolt head and am redrilling the hole. I tried the regular bits that came with my cordless drill and it is slowly making a dent in it. What kind of drill bit should I use to get through this 1/2 thick metal, and where can I find it??

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
94 Posts
First of all get a corded drill, then a high speed carbide drill bit, you didn't mention how big the bolt was you broke off but it is always a good idea to start out smaller than what you actually want to drill out, it's just alot easier to be accurate that way. Good luck and wear your eye protection:cool:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Your gonna wanna use a Metal drill bit because,
Those Plastic drill bits wont last long! lol seriously go get yourself some cobalt drill bits designed for high speed steel.

Also do not use full speed on your drill,, it quickly heats up the tip of the bit and dulls it making short life, use some WD40 sprayed on the area keeping it wet all the time while drilling makes life easier.

Brad

·
Registered
91 Posts
I there portions of the bolt still in the part. Where is this hole at you re redrilling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts