Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to find a K&N that has the rubber "lip" that allows you to clamp it onto the MAF adapator like when using a Lightning MAF. What is everyone else using ??

The pic makes a lot more sense. Stock filters are flat all the way down the base, mine has a lip. Unfortunately, it is a Kenne Bell branded filter with no part numbers on it :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go to K&N's website. They have a listing of all the part numbers with all the dimensions. Then you can order one from Summit.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - I found that and I'm looking now.
Do any passenger cars have that ytpe though. So far I haven't found any.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this something you are looking for? I have a Kenne Bell blower and bought the MAF through them as well. I already had the Cold Air intake and needed to make it fit over the 90mm MAF. It did, but it was kind of a pain. The only problem is, I am not sure if going from a smaller tube into the MAF, then back out to a smaller tube is affecting anything.

Oh wait, I am not allowed to post pics. I can e-mail you a pic if you would like.

How do I post pics?

·
Registered
35,057 Posts
Jay95 - are you planning on mounting a filter like the one in the picture under the hood? If so, it will pull much warmer under-hood air into the intake resulting in less power/torque. For every 10F degree increase in intake air temp., HP drops by about 1%. If you can find a way to shield the filter or relocate it in the fenderwell, under the fender, someplace where it will pick up outside air, there's free HP to be had compared to an exposed under-hood mounting. This is especially helpful in boosted cars where the supercharger or turbo heat the intake charge via compression.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael- yes I know. That was just a pic to show how the filter was mounted to the MAF.

I'm going to keep the filter mouned to the MAF and put the MAF in the fender. I don't like having bends before the MAF like in a powerpipe.

I think I found what I need. I just need to try to find one locally. I need it too soon to mail order - don't want to pay the extra costs for overnight.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey Michael, you think all the bends involved in a powerpipe/CAI to get colder air really worth it, considering that a filter in the engine compartment is likely gonna have the shortest distance to the blower inlet? (not applying to blown 4.6L centrifugal setups since they nearly have a straight shot into the blower)

I was wondering about this thinking my homemade 3" PVC tubing is a potential bottle neck in my setup as I have 2 90^ bends before the MAF into the fenderwell (w/filter). That all the bends and length involved negates the cold air benefit. If I move the K&N into the engine, I actually got less than a foot into th S/C compared to a 2-3foot distance a powerpipe/CAI gives... So I;m thinking filter in the engine w/shield will remove a lot of restrictions... May try it this weekend.

·
Registered
35,057 Posts
My opinion is that the cold air benefit far outweighs the flow considerations in a properly sized intake with ells. I don't think full diameter (mandrel bent or formed) ells are much of a problem. Your diameter may be the bigger issue. I wouldn't worry about the ells if they're full diameter - but even my 300HP normally aspirated is 3.5" upstream of the meter. However - if you can remove the bends AND get cold air to it - that's the best of both worlds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts