Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...last week someone mentioned an orange wire that is ground to the back of one of the heads. Well 3 years ago I put in my first 306, and that wire was broken. I never did re-attach it. Today I traced it to one of the ten pin connectors. I looked in my shop manual and it then goes to the ECM. It is the "fuel sensor ground".
What the heck is that for??
Does it have anything to do with my wacky fuel guage readings?!
If I remember right it was attached to one of the bolts that mounts the head to head tube.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
i think youre refering to the ground for the fuel injectors....

take care,
adam

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the car runs fine without it hooked up.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
are any codes being thrown??

adam

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have code checker. But I do have lots of good customers with scanners.
Tommorrow night I'll reconnect that wire to engine ground. First I want to use a multimeter and make sure, for sure, that its not live!
But like I say, after checking the wiring diagram, that wire definately did go to that broken hunk of ground wire on the back of the head. I had a box of spare parts after my first engine change, and I kept the eyelet terminal, that had about two inches of orange wire on it, for about a year! But it's long gone now!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Its an independant engine ground. You are getting the ground from elsewhere, say the ground that completes the circuit for the starter moter? Good idea to replace it.

Don't think the injectors are grounded through contact with manifold and the heads, they are grounded through the control module's ground, i.e. part of the harness connection.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts