Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving myself nuts trying to figure out the purpose of the black box that is near the sway bar and he smog pump on the passenger side of the car? I have no HVAC or emissions stuff on the car.

Any ideas? If I don't need it, I want to remove it ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Its the charcoal canister, there should be a line running to it from the gas tank. Its close the to size of a VCR cassette, kind of? It's part of the emissions system.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think I can remove it? I don't have any other emissions-related stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yes you can remove it BUT you will leave your fuel tank vented to the open air ,letting fuel evaporate,creating a possible fire hazzard,losing milage due to the fumes not being burned,if the check valve goes bad you could create a siphoning hazzard + if the car ever rolled over same thing
you could possibly save 2-3# tho doesnt seem worth the risk to me

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you remove the charcoal cannister, you need to plug the hole in the upper intake that it attaches to. There is also an eletcrical connection connecting it to the computer. I don't know it disconnecting it will throw codes or not. Also, you may smell gas fumes from time to time because they are not being contained and processed by the cannister.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
cmclean said:
Most people remove it, and never look back.

Don't worry about it.
yup

adam

·
Registered
47 Posts
The charcoal traps or absorbs the gas fumes from the tank instead of venting the fumes to the atmosphere. The ECM occasionally applies vacuum to the charcoal cannister and sucks the gas fumes from the charcoal into the intake to be burned.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just leave it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where does it connect to motor? There looks to be a hose with a small filter or something in line and that is disconnected.. Just hanging down by the headers on the passenger side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts