Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty - when ever I ask friends this question I always get a half-a$$ answer or a "I don't know".

Is there a difference between the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 Series Muffler and the original Flowmaster 2-Chamber Muffler?

Are they the same thing and the whole "Delta-Flow" BS is just a sales perk.

My exhaust sounds too weak with the catted Hi-Flow H-pipe and 3-chamber mufflers. I need something that sounds better and louder. How much louder are the 2's going to be than the 3's? Is it worth the $100 to change??

-Rob-
:confused:

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you get your hands on a Flow Master catalog they shows pictures of the difference. The difference is in the baffles used inside. I'm sick to death of Flow Master mufflers but I do think the Delta-Flow versions sound better - cleaner and smoother. I doubt weather one makes more power over the other since they're both restrictive.

Have you ever stood outside and had a friend drive your car up and down the street? I once thought my last car was quiet with headers, stock h-pipe and 2-chambers until I did this and realized it was plenty loud. Personally I feel if you have a hard time hearing the car while inside it that's a good thing. It's no fun having to yell to have a conversation. That said, I don't think it's worth it to spend more money just to have a louder car, especially when you're not gonna get anything else out of it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The following is from Flowmaster's 'site...

40 SERIES™
The Original Flows®

Performance Street & Strip

The 40 Series™ is the most aggressive sounding street and strip muffler in Flowmaster's product line. If you are looking for the original "Flowmaster tone," the 40 Series™ is the one. The performance street and strip muffler will also generate interior resonance within the vehicle. So if you want to really hear your exhaust system inside the vehicle as well as outside it, the 40 Series™ is for you.

------------------------------------------------

40 SERIES™
Delta Flow®

Performance Street & Strip

The 40 Series™ Delta Flow® is a milder sounding street and strip muffler that generates a powerful, aggressive sound outside the vehicle, a lower interior resonance while improving your torque and horsepower.

------------------------------------------------

FLOWMASTER DELTA FLOW® TECHNOLOGY. . .

Developed from Flowmaster's line of Delta Force® race mufflers, Delta Flow® technology provides superior scavenging of exhaust gases even over a comparable (standard) Flowmaster muffler. This results in increased horsepower, torque and fuel economy, along with reductions in exterior sound levels and interior resonance. These three deflectors function properly only when they've been precisely placed and welded to exact specifications. Together they provide superior reductions in exterior sound levels as well as resonance transmitted through the exhaust system and into the vehicle.

The key to Delta Flow technology is the mutiple deflectors that form the delta shape of the Power Chamber.™

While most Flowmaster mufflers have relied upon a single deflector, recent advancements in production technology have allowed Flowmaster to construct mufflers with multiple deflectors.
By investing in state-of-the-art electronic sensing devices, Flowmaster can now produce mufflers with internal elements placed at tolerances of +/- .004", twice the standard required by OEM car manufacturers. In fact, no one in the exhaust business today has tighter specifications. It is this exact placement of components within the muffler that makes Delta Flow® technology possible.

If you've ever played a musical instrument or watched a piano tuner at work, you understand how slight the differences are between being in-tune and being out-of-tune. That's exactly the case with Delta Flow® technology. Only sophisticated electronic sensing devices can place the deflectors with the accuracy required. Because without it, performance would suffer and you wouldn't get the famous "Flowmaster sound."

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here is what I am dealing with. I have BBK Equal Length Shorties, an Off-Road H-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats welded in (for inspection) and a 3 chamber catback that I hacked off the tailpipes and welded on MAC Chrome Tailpipes.

The car sounds weak. It is somewhat loud but I like that deep mean Flowmaster tone you hear when you rev it to about 3000. I don't hear that too well with mine now. So do I want Delta Flows or Regular 40 Series??? If you go to www.mikestoyz.com and watch the Vortech SQ video....you can hear the exhaust at the end when he pulls into the garage. THAT IS THE SOUND I WANT! But, he had his flows welded to the stock exhaust I think.

Here is the link.

www.mikestoyz.com/multimedia/vortechsq/.mpg

-Rob-
:evil:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts