Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and saw that a large screwdriver can be used to remove the followers if the cams are on the base circle. I have a few questions....

1. Do you still need a more sophisticated tool closer to the one in the shop manual to put the followers back in?

2. What is the minimum tool needed to get the followers out if the engine is in the car?

3. Is there an adequate tool available that is cheaper than the OTC version of the Ford 303-452 and 303-567 tools?

I am just getting ready in case I have to build me a forged engine to keep up with MJChip in '03, LOL.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
647 Posts
big screwdriver will work nicely.....that's what the FRPP head installation directions called for too! just pry up on the lifter side of the follower and slide it to one side while the cam is on the base circle otherwise you won't be able to get any space between the lifter and follower.....

good luck,

SJ

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GreenMonster'96--Even on a DOHC engine? It looks a little different than a SOHC.

MdNDrifter--Followers are similar to rocker arms for the DOHC engines. Just a lever between the camshaft lobe and the valve stem, with one end sitting on a stationary lash adjuster. They need to be removed when disassembling an engine.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charles--Can I rent your tools long enough for me to take one apart and put another back together? I would need it for several weeks. I'd come get it just so I can see your cars, LOL. And I need to go to Brownfield/Lubbock anyway to look for a trailer.

Joe

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Joe...he is correct. I first saw this done back in May of 01 when the NMRA wanted to P&G my engine. Mike Tymensky took a flathead screwdriver and popped two of those suckers off (then back on) like there were nuthin. :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob and Charles--Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that it was that easy. Sounds like a lot of stuff that was on the IRS--I found some very simple ways to avoid buying any special tools just by dealing with it in a little more practical way than the shop manual would lead you to believe was possible. I guess the the engine is the same way.

Joe

·
Registered
451 Posts
Screwdriver method works great, but you better bleed down the lifters before you pop them back on (wear gloves, it can be a ncukle buster if you slip).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Joe Lynch said:
GreenMonster'96--Even on a DOHC engine? It looks a little different than a SOHC.

MdNDrifter--Followers are similar to rocker arms for the DOHC engines. Just a lever between the camshaft lobe and the valve stem, with one end sitting on a stationary lash adjuster. They need to be removed when disassembling an engine.

Joe Lynch
Thanks. Im trying to build my car knowledge up, so I might be asking a lot of dumb questions, hope you guys dont mind.:)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, thanks, Sinister GT. I may already have the Craftsman "special tool".
Joe Lynch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts