Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Curious as to what the wire on the passenger side of the car near the back of the car is for. It is a semi-thick wire that attaches to the hood, is it used for a safety precaution? Just curious because I noticed on aftermarket hoods there is no place for this wire and was wondering if it needed to be re-grounded elsewhere if the stock hood is removed.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since no one else has answered, my guess is.....

1. Ground for the hood light.

2. Safety wire: For some reason if the hood flew off/back it would swing to the side instead of in someone elses windshield!

Anyone else know for sure? :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I asked the same question months ago and no one knew. This is only a guess, I'm thinking being that fiber glass does not need to be grounded there must be a metal shim in the hood some where, in between the 2 layers. The metal shim would need to be grounded and is there for safty. Being if the hood opened while driving the hood would not brake in half flying into someone windshield.
If you get an after market hood, you don't need to ground it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is a grounding strap to help reduce electrical interference from the spark plugs and such, so your radio won't have that ticking noise that speeds up as you increase engine speed.

Not really as important these days and in the past, when our cars had spark plug wires. Also AM is much more affected than FM is.

Very early Corvettes had the shielding directly on the engine covering the spark plug wires and dist. since thay had fiberglass hoods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts