Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I am asking this question is because my 76mm C&L MAF runs lean down low and rich up top. I am running 30# injectors and a 70mm TB
I have been thinking about trying a different MAF, possibly a Pro-M, then today while flipping through the FRPP catalog I see Ford's 70mm MAF. Part # M-12579-A70 which is calibrated for use with 30# injectors and 1989-1993 EEC-IV module

It seems reasonable to me that the Ford unit is more precisely calibrated then either the Pro-M or C&L meters (Correct me if I'm wrong). What disadvantage would there be (if any) of running the same size MAF as TB? Anyone have any experience with the Ford 70mm MAF for 30# injectors?

Another thing is the price of the Ford unit, Summit sells it for $210 !!! Hell, for that price, I can afford to buy one just to try it

Thanks in advance

Brian

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you look at the mapping table of a C&L vs. a Pro-M meter you will find that the C&L is designed to run leaner than the Pro-M meter, producing slightly more power under certain cases.

This is half of the reason why all those cacky Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords dyno tests are invalid, not to mention all of their other quirks. Don't get me started, but I hate it when they release an article and everyone starts believing and preaching over a *new product. They're a bunch of jips anyhow.

In short, some will claim the C&L is better and not know why, others will only run a Pro-M product, it's really up to you. Personally I like the design of the Pro-M products, and if you get a chip burned or are using a EPEC, Tweeker, PMS or tuner you can usually work around the meter to compinsate for either condition which they provide.

Cheers,

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Anyone out there use the FRPP 70mm MAF?

Brian

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
quarterstang86 said:
If you look at the mapping table of a C&L vs. a Pro-M meter you will find that the C&L is designed to run leaner than the Pro-M meter, producing slightly more power under certain cases.

This is half of the reason why all those cacky Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords dyno tests are invalid
How does that make anything invalid?
The C'n'L running leaner makes for a good N/A meter.
The Pro M running a little more rich makes a good power adder meter.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
good programming of feul curves is miles better than "meter voodoo"

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
MinionII said:
good programming of feul curves is miles better than "meter voodoo"
agreed, but you still need a larger than stock meter to run hard. and no meter changes the programming of the computer. C'n'L uses a sample tube to trick the computer about how much air it is reading, and Pro M uses electronics to trick the computer. Both use trickery to allow more air into the equation.

also, not everyone has the money, or the oppertunity to have a custom dyno/chip session, which is really the only way to properly alter the fuel and timing curves.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cleanLX said:
agreed, but you still need a larger than stock meter to run hard. and no meter changes the programming of the computer. C'n'L uses a sample tube to trick the computer about how much air it is reading, and Pro M uses electronics to trick the computer. Both use trickery to allow more air into the equation.

also, not everyone has the money, or the oppertunity to have a custom dyno/chip session, which is really the only way to properly alter the fuel and timing curves.

I agree that a larger than stock MAF is needed, but does it really need to be 75, 76, 80mm or larger?

Ford used a 58mm MAF and a 60mm TB
The 58mm MAF flows 606 CFM @ 28"
The 60mm TB flows 526 CFM @ 28"

Since I am using a 70mm TB (which flows 726 CFM @ 28") Do I really need a MAF that flows well over 1100 CFM???????
The Ford 70mm MAF flows 815CFM @ 28"
All of the flow numbers above were gathered from here
I have no idea how accurate these numbers are

I quess what I am asking is, how much is too much?
Looks like I am going to buy the Ford meter and see how well it works. After I get my car back together, I am going to the dyno shop and have my chip reburned. I'll see if I can swap out the two meters (the C&L 76mm and the Ford 70mm) and see what the difference is.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
Generally speaking upgrading your MAF, say to a 80mm Lightning unit, is more for the sake of a more accurate reading, not more flow alone.

-J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts