Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can get the '03 Bilsteins for $200 and the regular race valved units would be $800.

What's the big diff between the 2 sets?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK then ...I must be reading MM web page wrong .....

Direct from their web site ...MM Race-Valved Bilstein Struts & Shocks. Pkg # BIL-10 is $796.61. Part #'s V36-4138-MM1 (Fronts-$269.95/ea ) and BE5-6418-MM1 (rears-$144.95/ea).

Thus my question .... What is the big difference between the 2 sets?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm not a math whiz, but it looks like $600 dollars is the difference.
Do you want a cushy ride street shock?

·
Registered
169 Posts
the ones on MM site are dyno tested race valved shocks and struts. they are are alot more stiffer than standard HDs. they are basically made for springs in excess of 1000 lbs used on the race track

·
Registered
700 Posts
"regular race-valved units"?

There's nothing regular about them. They're valved specifically to MM's specs. I don't know what the valving is.

What is your intended use, and what spring rates are you gonna run?

The 03's will offer a relatively plush ride, and still handle significant spring rates... but for heavy track use... you'd probably want a little more damping.

The "regular" H1 struts have a valving of 5.5/2

The 2000 Cobra R struts have a valving of 6/1.5 (and they're supposedly the same as the 03's).

The 03 struts have wrap-around spindle mounts, which can easily be used to support a coil-over sleave... so you don't need a pricie clamp collar or special sleave... just the proper diameter sleave (the bils are a little larger than most struts).

I HIGHLY recommend front coil-overs. The ride/performance is great... and they don't cost much with the 03 struts... you can get the hardware from www.colemanracing.com

The 03 struts should work well with 10"-350# coil-over springs... and alright with 8"-425# springs. If you wanna go heavier for track use... get them specially valved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts