Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the shop that did my steeda rear control arms might have reinsatll my springs wrong.is the pig tail end suppose to face the rear with the end in the middle of the control arm perch ? or does it matter.the reason i'm asking is that the car does not seem to sit level in the rear.the rear passenger side sits lower than the left rear.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I might be wrong, but I don't believe the direction of the pigtail matters in the rear. It does matter in the front though.

Ken

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
KenB said:
I might be wrong, but I don't believe the direction of the pigtail matters in the rear. It does matter in the front though.
Ken
Yes, the pigtails should be pointing in towards the pumpkin or center of the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take it to a professional and don't do what I did.....

Took me two days just to get my rear springs in.:mad:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was going to do a spring install tomorrow on my 97 GT. I see all these huge lists of things you have to do to put springs in. Here's the thing: I have a rental spring compressor. I've looked at my car already and from what I've seen, all I need to do is jack up the car and let the wheels hang, then use the spring compressor to compress the spring and take them right out. Is there something I'm missing here, cause it looks like that's completely possible and a lot easier than unbolting everything since I'm not changing the shocks or struts at this time.

Lon

·
Registered
115 Posts
97GTConvt
I was going to do a spring install tomorrow on my 97 GT. I see all these huge lists of things you have to do to put springs in. Here's the thing: I have a rental spring compressor. I've looked at my car already and from what I've seen, all I need to do is jack up the car and let the wheels hang, then use the spring compressor to compress the spring and take them right out. Is there something I'm missing here, cause it looks like that's completely possible and a lot easier than unbolting everything since I'm not changing the shocks or struts at this time.

Unfortunatly it is a bit more complex than that. I have read many different posts on how guys have been putting springs in. From my experiance the rears are a piece of cake, just unbolt the lower control arm and lower the spring cradle with a floor jack. The front is more complex. You will need to, or this is what I had to do, remove the tie rod ends, unbolt the stabilizer link, remove the brake caliper, then unbolt the strut from the engine bay and again lower it out with a floor jack. I still had to use a spring compressor to get the stock spring out and my new one in. It's not that hard, just take your time.

P.S. What does the autumn orange look like, mine is tangerine, just curious about yours

1 - 7 of 7 Posts