Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find some to clean my car up and make it all shiny again, any recomendations for which wax I can use to get all the imperfections off? Also which kind is the best to polish it with?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go to the Meguiar's website and click on the Rx link and answer some questions about your car's finish. Of course they will provide you with your "Rx" for your conditions and they will recommend their products and frequency when to apply. Also try a search in the forum for wax. Right now I'm using Show car glaze #7 and Gold class wax with detail spray between coats. Nu finish seems to work pretty good also. It comes down to what your willing to spend in time and money. Don't forget Mother's or Zaino but I have never used yet. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Another vote for the Zaino!!!! That stuff is awsome. Its kinda pricey, but............... it is definitly awsome stuff.

Kyle

·
Registered
262 Posts
i've used meguiars gold before and it came out increadibly smooth. resently I tried Zaino, that had about the same amount of shine, though not as smooth to the touch. Zaino was a lot more steps, but it should last a lot longer than the wax did.

Oh, and clay your car first, it makes a huge different.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another Zaino user here. It may seem expensive but it lasts a long time and the little bottle it comes in will last you at least 12 applications. I applied at least 7 coats on 4 different cars and I got over half the bottle left still so its a good price IMO.

·
Registered
330 Posts
'Anyone know if there is a distributor in utah? I need to order some carwash that wasn't included in my last order, and sure hate to pay $8 to ship one bottle...

·
Registered
188 Posts
stang9946 said:
I need to find some to clean my car up and make it all shiny again, any recomendations for which wax I can use to get all the imperfections off? Also which kind is the best to polish it with?
The first thing you need to think about with any wax or sealant is preparing the paint. Without good prep work you aren't going to be happy with the results no matter what product you use and especially so with a sealant like Zaino.

Can you give more details on the problems with your paint? One thing you might try is a good swirl remover like Meguiars #9. It can be applied by hand and you would be amazed at what it can remove.

After the prep work you have basically two choices a polymer sealant or a carnauba based wax. You also need to consider other things like do you want a one step system or are you willing to invest the time and do multiple steps. A one step system is faster but, you will always get better results from a multi-step system. How often do you plan to wax and does your car spend most of its time outside or does it sit in a garage. What color is your car, carnaubas tend to look better on dark cars than polymers. Some people think polymers make a dark car look like it has been coated with plastic.

I can give you some suggestions based on answers to the above questions.

A lot of people have their favorites but, there is no one wax or sealant that is going to be right for every car and every situation.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I love my Duragloss... You can get it at Car Quest

·
Registered
605 Posts
Duragloss shines as well, and lasts as long as Zaino for less $$$.

At least that is my opinion after using both.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am still lookin for the perfect stuff to use on my black car So far i think i like 3m's 4 step stuff but it is a pain to get the wax off
I just bought some new stuff from griots and im goin to try it out

Also how often should you wax your car and is it bad to wax it to much

·
Registered
188 Posts
slackerme said:
I am still lookin for the perfect stuff to use on my black car So far i think i like 3m's 4 step stuff but it is a pain to get the wax off
I just bought some new stuff from griots and im goin to try it out

Also how often should you wax your car and is it bad to wax it to much
Typically when a wax is difficult to remove it is because it was applied too heavily. Using a heavy coat of wax won't leave more protection, it just wastes product. It is far better to put it on as thinly as you can and do a couple of layers rather than putting on one heavy one.

With most Carnauba waxes once a month is probably good to keep a good layer of protection.

The only downside to waxing too much is that every time you touch your paint there is a chance of scratching it. If you use products and processes that minimize the chance of scratching than you should be ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts