Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best carb for daily driving on an 83' 5.0 with 4bbl and an Automatic trans? Which will give me the best starting with the least amount of time to warm up before I put it in gear and go. By cold I mean around 35-40 degrees outside. This car is stock too. I know a carb won't be like EFI but I want one as close as possible as far as starting right up and then being able to go without minimal waiting time. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Use the factory holley carbs that were on the mustang with all the attachements hooked up. (Stock Air Cleaner, heat risers, all the hoses and sensors plugged in).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have all of the stock equip. connected but the stock Holley seems to be a poor starter in cold weather. Maybe it is just my carb but it seems to take many tried to get it to start and stay lit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Depending on your auto tranny setup, I think the stock one is the only carb that accepts the kick down linkage. Just make sure the choke is working properly, floats are set right, and the accelerator pump is working. My experience has been carbs are always hard to start in the cold. Just don't get a mechanical secondary double pumper with no choke, I always seemed to be puting out carb fires;)

·
Registered
984 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
ChewyR said:
Depending on your auto tranny setup, I think the stock one is the only carb that accepts the kick down linkage.
No, not necessarily. I've had an Edelbrock and a Holley work just fine with my AOD and stock cable. You just have to get a little creative with the way you hook it up. Lokar sells a cable for this also.

Anyways, my recommendation would be to get a Holley 570 street avenger or maybe even a BG 625 Road Demon. That's if this a pretty much a stock engine, because you didn't really specify.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I use a aholley 600 vacume secondaires with elctric choke, I put my float bowls onit to beabel to hook the lines up( required in california for emissions reasons) I have the stock ram air cleaner set up with teh heat risers on my headers. My car starts right up. I have to wait abut the time it takes me to put it in reverse before going any where. ALthuogh I normally wait fora minute or two just to get the oil flowing first.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Is the Vac. Sec. 600 Holley the 80457. My car has an auto trans. without overdrive. My HO is completely stock, air box, etc. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes the 80457 carb is vac secondary. Everything you need to hook it up comes with the carb. From what I hear the edle carbs you have to buy a separate hardware kit to hook it up to a auto tranny.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I always perfer holley over edlebrock, just my personal preferance though. mikejb already answered the vac secondary question. you'll be happy with teh 600... to tune it is simple for yuor stock combo take it out of the box and bolt it on yoru car, start with teh idle mixture screws turned 2 turns out and begin turning one in until yu hear the rpm change then back it out a hair, then do the other side. you can be more acurate with a vacume guage, but this method will work well with a daily driver. the jetting should be good for your combo as well straight out of teh box. I can;t rememebr the exact jet sizes i just remember on every stock stang I always ended up back at teh stock jets(I keep a huge assortment of jets on hand as I race) there a few good sites that can help yu tune yru carb but honestly unless yu are trying to squeeze every ounce of Hp out of it as yu can, leave the carb as it is and adjust the idle mixture screws.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Holley flow test every carb that goes out of the plant and puts a tag on it to tell you which employee did it. The only thing you have to do to this carb once bolted on is adjust the idle screw on the throttle bracket and electric choke. No need to adjust any other screws. If it does not flow its best send it back and Holley knows who to go question. :)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I love holley.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My demon 575 CFM works good but without a choke its a bitch to drive in the mornings... I have to let it warm up for a min before I can slowly leave my house. When its warm its the best carb ever.... besides my wacky idle problems.... :)

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
StangLX302 said:
Anyways, my recommendation would be to get a Holley 570 street avenger
Thats what I got in addition to a Weiand Stealth intake. Thsi saturday I am picking up a slightly wrecked 89 GT for the engine and tranny. Together, thats all going in my 84 Capri that wasn't suppose to be another project car! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I run the 570 avenger. I found the jetting pretty close to perfect. I had run a purple secondary spring, a 37 squirter, and a pink pump cam to keep it from bogging bad on sticky tires at the track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts