Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new car cover as mine is old and not so good. I want something that obviously will cover the car completely, that is waterproof, and BREATHES!!! I don't want a cover that holds in moisture... that is the biggest thing. What is the best one for this? How much is it? Where is the best place to get it? Thanx for the help guys!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Both mine are from wolf. The bottom one is the cheap one, around $50 when I bought it 7 years ago. The other one is one of the multi layered one's. around $150 5 years ago. The multilayered ones dont hold up well against the weather though.
I think there should be tons of places that carry these on the net, you just have to search around.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on searching, but I just wanted some feedback on what peoples experiences were with various car covers. My car cover doesn't have to hold up against weather because it is garaged... just want to cover it to keep dust off and protect it when not in use. The reason I want it to be water proof is because when it snows or rains hard, the garage door gets wet and drips on the car when it goes up (very frusterating when you don't take it out and just washed it and it's all dirty). The other thing is I DON'T want a cover that is going to hold in moisture because the one that I had gave me about 5 new rust spots a couple of years ago over the winter season... I got it re-painted and don't want that to happen again.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have the Wolf one. I got it from Summit. I don't have the part number on me now. It fits great and works great. I am very happy with it. I keep my notch outside covered all day.

I paid around $150 for it. I'll get an exact price later tonight.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've been happy with covers from California Car Cover Co, www.calcarcover.com They have several grades for indoor as well as outdoor use, and they are custom made for your car. It is my experience that outdoor use will limit the life of the covers to about 3 years. I think it is because of a the crap in the air out here.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like they have a nice line of products... anyone else out there have any opinions? My main things that I am trying to accomplish by having a car cover are:

1) Dust (anything over the car will keep dust off of it though)
2) Moisture (do not want ANY moisture under that cover)
3) Scratch resistant (if someone should happen to pass by my car and bump into it, I don't want it getting scratched by the cover... I want the cover to protect the surface for accidents like that)

·
Registered
743 Posts
MIne has a real nice paint job too, I use the multi layered one to protect it because it doesnt have any zipped that could potentially cause a scratch. It does get alittle dust on it from time to time though, but nothing a duster doesnt take care of

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who makes your cover though?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
California Car Cover is the best that I have seen
I have two and they are great fit is perfect

Tim

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wolf

·
Registered
743 Posts
Oh, If you have a hood or wing on your car you probably need to look into the custom made one, mine doesnt completely cover the rear bumper anymore

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are the California Covers & Wolf made out of TYVEK (or something like that)? Kind of like paper but resistant to tearing while being breathable. Like the material that they used for the sleeves of those old 5.25" floppy disks.

I've been buying those $45 ones from Trak Auto ($35/ea when on sale). They only last for about 1.5 years tops and starts to tear.

Are these $99-150 covers worth it? Are they 90-100% waterproof. The $35/ones are about 70-80% waterproof. Big thunderstorms, water will go through eventually. And how long do they last. I need 3 of them :(

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Califfffornia Car Covers has several different types of fabric, from 100%cotton with a flannel layer inside to the Kemberly Clark Evolution product. It just depends on the intended use as to which cover is best for you.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay then, obviously these car covers are treated and it sounds like water proof and they are going to keep dust off of my car while covered, is there any other measure that I should take to keep moisture from getting to my car? I have heard of people laying plastic sheets down under the car due to moisture getting to it while it was covered. One guy said that he looked under his car in the winter time this once and the under cariage was soaked and water was literaly dripping off of it. He put a sheet down and it took care of it mostly. Anyone else know of this or heard of this?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The covers that I have seen from California Car Cover are breatheable, they will not trap mosture. If your garage floor sweats, a sheet of plastic will act as a moisture barrier under the car. I had that problem when I lived in Louisiana. I ended up removing the cement floor, laying down a vapor barrier and having the floor repored. It was easy to convince the wife to let me do the job after she slipped and busted her a-- on the wet concrete.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had 2 wolf custom fit covers made of evolution 3 fabric. They protect well against rain and sun. Not that it rains much here. However, the fabric does not last. It gets thinner with age until it rips when you handle it. Each lasted about 1.5-2 years b4 tearing (continual use).

They don't keep dust off the car either after the cover's been saturated with dust on the outside. The dust will work it's way through. Same with standing water (area between rear hatch glass and wing where it collects). That's the price you pay for breathability.

I'm gonna try the noah fabric on the next one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
fast4d said:
I've had 2 wolf custom fit covers made of evolution 3 fabric. They protect well against rain and sun. Not that it rains much here. However, the fabric does not last. It gets thinner with age until it rips when you handle it. Each lasted about 1.5-2 years b4 tearing (continual use).

Only 1.5-2 years for a $100 cover? Ouch, I thought they were much better than my $35-39 ones from Trak Auto that also lasts about 1.5-2 years. These cheap ones do seem to keep out water, but when it pours, it does soak through. And they are breathable too. I can't seem to find any more NYLON ones. Those lasts forever, but not very good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an Evolution-4 cover from CoverCraft http://www.covercraft.com/ It works great for rain, sun and dust. I've had mine on in the rain and the car is completely dry. After 4 years it's still in great shape. I needed mine fast so I just bought it from Pep Boys. It's a universal fit, but it fits fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts