Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all, can someone explain this? Obviously its a method of releasing the clutch?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You push the clutch in, put the trans in neutral, let the clutch out, put the clutch back in, put the trans in whatever gear, let the clutch out.

Double clutching is really only used on non synchronized transmissions. Since our tranny's use syncros double clutching isn't necessary.

Carson

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah - Remember "The Fast & Furious"?

... One of the dumbest movies I ever saw. My jaw almost hit the floor when Vin Unleaded said, "You're not double-clutching like you're suppost to..."

Yeah... that'll help you win the race - if you're driving a Blue Bird bus... Sorry for the non-tech... Mark

·
Registered
351 Posts
double clutching, sounds like fast & furios

"you almost had me! DUDE. you never had your car. granny shiftin, not double clutchin like you should have..." Vin Diesel

man every time i see that movie i get angrier. its such a farce with its racing 4 wide and all that ish.

"i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time...":barf:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
ive always thought double clutching was when going into a corner, it will take the weight or momentum off the front end. my cousin was showing me it in his porsche and double clutching is much better then just shifting into corners. im sure he has a different transmission than us.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
-----------------------------------
ive always thought double clutching was when going into a corner,
-----------------------------------

I think you're talking about "heel & toe" - gas/braking with the same foot...

·
Registered
10 Posts
GTmustang00 said:
ive always thought double clutching was when going into a corner, it will take the weight or momentum off the front end. my cousin was showing me it in his porsche and double clutching is much better then just shifting into corners. im sure he has a different transmission than us.
PASSDU2 has it right. However, it is usually only done when downshifting. Double clutching is much easier on the synchros too so it has a purpose. I always do it when driving normally but when racing--> :barf:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I also makes the downshifts smoother, because the revs are matched when you let the clutch back out. I do it out of habit, because i drive truck on occasion. Once you master double clutching, you can start shifting without the clutch if you want too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, also what was up with the floor pan falling out during that race? After vin put double clutching in there I figured it must have been some sort of attempt of thrill or excitement for the scene.

Bout the only thing double clutching now is 18 wheelers and such.

·
Registered
712 Posts
how about this one (HOW MUCH DOES ONE OF THOSE RUN FOR?) (MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD! FERRARI... VROOM VROOM) LMAO!!:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

:lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't see why anyone would bother double-clutching a car transmission, because the limited amount of friction passing through the clutch when it's disengaged is still enough to accelerate or slow the gears. In a truck there is so much mass spinning in the transmission that you have to double-clutch but in my car when I downshift I just step on the clutch, take it out of gear, rev it, and pop it into the lower gear.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
i know F&F was all about rice, but when Vin was saying that about the granny shifting and double clutching, he was intentionally saying it backwards to be funny, because he was making fun of Paul Walker

·
Registered
660 Posts
double clutching

Double clutching also is done in racing, it is when you feel your car isn't pulling like it should so you push in the clutch so the rpm can race higher, then release the clutch, it gives that sudden feel like you just increase in power. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have tried it, and it works, just for a second. I was racing this guy back home, I had an 82 mustang. He had a 91 mustang. I jumped him off the line, as he started to ease up beside me, I double clutched and held him through the 1/4. That is what Vin Diesel meant in the movie, not clutching and going to neutral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even if that was what he meant, he is still an idiot. If you need to get into the higher RPM range, simply slip the clutch, by pushing the pedal enough to allow it to rev a little more but still leaving it engaged enough to pull. Hard as hell on the clutch but more effective than losing those couple tenths of a second or so while you're busy mashing the pedal in and releasing it. Remember, if the clutch isn't engaged, you aren't accelerating, or even maintaining speed, you're slowing down.

This is a classic ricer technique where I am from, they'll stand on it, rev it up to 10k, and then dump the clutch. After a pathetically small burn out, the motor falls on its face and they "double clutch it" to get going again, with an even wimpier chirp. So what sounds like a second gear scratch is actually first gear, all over again. Meanwhile, the guy who was in the stock S-10, who they decided was easy prey, didn't care if he burned a little clutch, and pulled a car length without much effort out of his dinky little 3.8 roach. But it is a win-win situation, since the S-10 idiot can swell up and say he beat the ricer, and Johnny Honda invariably claims he "can't hook up".

Double clutching is doing what others said, going into neutral to allow the synchronization of the engine and the gears. Anybody who has driven heavy trucks is familiar with it, as well as road racers, and those who drive cars from eras without synchros in the tranny.

Sorry for the long, ranting post.

·
Registered
660 Posts
well put!

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Re: double clutching

psychoII said:
Double clutching also is done in racing, it is when you feel your car isn't pulling like it should so you push in the clutch so the rpm can race higher, then release the clutch, it gives that sudden feel like you just increase in power. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have tried it, and it works, just for a second. I was racing this guy back home, I had an 82 mustang. He had a 91 mustang. I jumped him off the line, as he started to ease up beside me, I double clutched and held him through the 1/4. That is what Vin Diesel meant in the movie, not clutching and going to neutral.
That's one of the dumbest things I've heard since my 6th grade friend insisted that continually hitting the decompression button on his moped made him faster, for exactly the same reason. What a rush when the compression kicked back in! :rolleyes: If your car is faster because disengaging the clutch (thereby disengaging the power and stopping all acceleration) and then re-engaging it at a higher RPM actually works then you are either operating in a different dimension or you need to shift back down a gear.

Drifters do that to shock the rear tires and kick the rear end out. It doesn't make them any faster, and they STILL don't call it "double-clutching".

·
Registered
10 Posts
ThisAintNoHonda said:
I don't see why anyone would bother double-clutching a car transmission, because the limited amount of friction passing through the clutch when it's disengaged is still enough to accelerate or slow the gears. In a truck there is so much mass spinning in the transmission that you have to double-clutch but in my car when I downshift I just step on the clutch, take it out of gear, rev it, and pop it into the lower gear.
Rev matching as you do, is done in the interest of the clutch etc.

Double clutching is done more in the interest of the synchros. Try it and you will see that it is much easier to get into gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts