Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Mustang Gt 400hp Holley Terminator
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what intake tubing guys are using with their fox body and Holley kits. I see a lot of guys just install an air filter right to the throttle body. Anderson power pipe is another option I see a lot of. Looking to make a change from the crappy generic cold air tube I currently have.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I literally got a 3” K&N filter from O’Reillys and stuck it on the end of a BBK tube I had laying around. Seems to work fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I used a 4" "long leg" silicone elbow (one leg cut off) and ram-air box. Originally it was done to minimize underhood temperature pickup and pressure drop in front of the Kenne Bell. Works well in front of my Holley HP controlled 428. The MAF tube is there just as a connector piece now (it was a slot type, so basically just a piece of tubing.)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Stock air box with K&N and the plastic tube from an 1988 SD TBird

Reactions: 91GTstroked

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don’t over think it, just get some sort of tube with an air filter. It’s not rocket science, just a way to get filtered air from outside to inside of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
HPS Performance STEP-AT300-350 6061 T6 Aluminum Step Up Transition Joiner Reducer Tube, 3" - 3.5" OD, 4" Length, 16 Gauge, 0.065" Wall Thickness
Thanks for the help. I got a reply from Anderson motorsports. They said I can just run this one and a longer air filter because it's in the fender.

AF-0112A

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the help. I got a reply from Anderson motorsports. They said I can just run this one and a longer air filter because it's in the fender.

AF-0112A

I’d rather run that inlet tube as well but I bought mine when I still had a MAF. Get the biggest filter you can fit.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I’d rather run that inlet tube as well but I bought mine when I still had a MAF. Get the biggest filter you can fit.
Gotcha, makes sense. I see they make a 3.5" O.D tube. Not sure if I'd need a 4".

My build plans are:

• 347 stroker compression 10:8:1 max.
  • Holley systemax intake
  • TF 11R 205cc heads
  • FTI custom cam

I guess 475-500 hp is the goal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gotcha, makes sense. I see they make a 3.5" O.D tube. Not sure if I'd need a 4".

My build plans are:

• 347 stroker compression 10:8:1 max.
  • Holley systemax intake
  • TF 11R 205cc heads
  • FTI custom cam

I guess 475-500 hp is the goal.

My motor is very close, I run AFR195 heads. I run the 3.5” tube since my throttle body is 70mm (Accufab race version ~896 CFM). The Edelbrock RPM II and Holley both come with 70mm inlets so you can open it up for a 75mm throttle body. I pull less then~ 1” of vacuum at WOT so my setup works considering the sum total of parts. The 4” tube is nice, but it doesn’t matter if the Inlet filter is restrictive. My car is street only so my needs are different them a max effort engine.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My motor is very close, I run AFR195 heads. I run the 3.5” tube since my throttle body is 70mm (Accufab race version ~896 CFM). The Edelbrock RPM II and Holley both come with 70mm inlets so you can open it up for a 75mm throttle body. I pull less then~ 1” of vacuum at WOT so my setup works considering the sum total of parts. The 4” tube is nice, but it doesn’t matter if the Inlet filter is restrictive. My car is street only so my needs are different them a max effort engine.
Awesome . My car will be for street driving as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I run an AFM 4" NA power pipe on my 347. I did have my upper intake opened up to 75mm at the TB (may actually be 80mm, i cant remember). 75mm TB on one end, big filter on the other side in the fender.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I run the AFM 4 inch power pipe on my stock bottom end 302. I'm also running a 80mm throttlebody on a systemax that has been opened up. Go with the larger pipe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts