Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What intake would best be suited to get a stock heads/cam 5.0 with a 70ishmm turbo looking to run 13-15 psi to get to 500 or so rwhp? I know it's harder to do on stock heads, so the intake needs to be up to par.

The street/strip intakes such as the RPM 1 & 2, the TFS Track Heat, Typhoon, Systemax etc are more geared towards aftermarket heads, but thats generally when talking about n/a setups, when cramming air in you can cover up flaws in a setup (such as too much intake manifold), but would these intakes offer anything over a TFS Street Heat, Cobra, Performer 5.0 on a combo like this?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd leave the stocker on or maybe get an exploder intake. Those heads are really restrictive and a bigger intake isnt really going to do a whole lot for you. If you are dead set on getting an aftermarket one I would go with the Systemax. Seems to be a good intake for forced induction.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know for a fact from my bolton 5.0's that just changing the crappy stocker out can pick up some power n/a, I imagine even with air being crammed through it that there are still gains to be had. Just wondering how much it matters on such a low rpm setup. I wonder if a street heat is better than a Cobra for this, or if stepping it up to a larger intake is worth it, such as the Systemax and stuff, although it seems like that would be way too big for the heads to line up with.

Reading the old MM&FF article about the intake manifold dyno shootout has me curious, but they tested on an NMRA real street trim car, with a Vortech. The TFS Street Heat did really really well in the rpm range that this turbo, stock cam setup would be in. It actually slaughtered the Cobra, and damn near all of them, except when compared to a higher rpm such as 6000 and beyond.

My friend's car made decent power with an On3 MP70 kit at 14-15 psi, stock heads, 1.7 rockers, rebuilt stock shortblock, stock cam, 94 octane, Typhoon intake (RPM clone). 488 rwhp, I think with methanol that car could have broke 500 rwhp. Just seems like a Typhoon isnt a good match up for stock heads, but like I was thinking, maybe it doesnt matter that much with a bunch of air being crammed in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Changing the intake does not reap benefits on a stock engine, forced induction car like a N/A set-up. Save your money to invest in a decent set of aluminum heads (AFR 165 or similar).

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont see the point in running heads on a stock block combo unless you are running into head gasket issues, or swinging for the fences of trying to kill the stock block. The stock intake flows worse than the stock heads, I can see a gain being had, forced induction or not. Adding boost to a 240-250 rwhp setup should make more power than a 225-235 rwhp setup. Plus it would probably take more boost to do it with a stock intake, and thats going to lead to more valve spring issues and head gasket woes on a stock headed motor.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Then go with the Exploder intake option. Cheap and gets you flow over and above your E6 heads.

Or you can just buy the Systemax intake and be done with needing new intakes for a while even if you build a new motor. Just because they didn't agree with you needing one doesn't mean they didn't give you and answer, stop arguing, and take the advise with a grain of salt.

Chris

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I dropped a crap load of money into my stock block build and broke the block in less than 100 miles after installing the turbo. Wish now that I would have just kept it stock, put a turbo on it, and used the extra money to buy a couple of extra short blocks.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,449 Posts
Explorer or GT-40 intake is more than enough for that combo.
x3

i'd be more concerned with the stock block and heads

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then go with the Exploder intake option. Cheap and gets you flow over and above your E6 heads.

Or you can just buy the Systemax intake and be done with needing new intakes for a while even if you build a new motor. Just because they didn't agree with you needing one doesn't mean they didn't give you and answer, stop arguing, and take the advise with a grain of salt.

Chris
While I appreciate input, my initial question wasnt whether or not ANY intake will pick up over the stocker or not. Im confident that even a 4th grade kits art project of an intake made from cardboard could pick up over what Ford cursed these cars with in the manifold department. ;)

I already have a 94-95 Cobra intake, and a Trick Flow Street Heat in the garage (just sold the TFS though), and reading the MM&FF intake shootout, and looking at the power under the curve in the Excel files they posted got me wondering if Im making a mistake by considering keeping the Cobra I have lying around for now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
gt40 lower with a box upper for boost...only way to know which intake would be best for your setup, is to try a few different ones and see which one give you the results you want!

and yes, on a n/a motor the intake will help. but when forcing the air in, it can help that much more. but at 500 wheel with a turbo, the torque will be retarded high, ad thats what will split the block! IMO, run the stocker and keep turning up the boost till she crack, then turn it down and replace the motor!

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
x3

i'd be more concerned with the stock block and heads
I would not, the intake is a limiting factor before the heads are. Experienced on a couple of cars where kept the stock intake but changed heads and saw next to no power increase. But have changed just the intakes and kept the stock heads then seen a hefty increase in power. All in boosted cars. Matter of fact I have seen where the stock upper was replaced with a box upper and got a decent power increase even though still with a stock lower and stock heads.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
While I appreciate input, my initial question wasnt whether or not ANY intake will pick up over the stocker or not. Im confident that even a 4th grade kits art project of an intake made from cardboard could pick up over what Ford cursed these cars with in the manifold department. ;)

I already have a 94-95 Cobra intake, and a Trick Flow Street Heat in the garage (just sold the TFS though), and reading the MM&FF intake shootout, and looking at the power under the curve in the Excel files they posted got me wondering if Im making a mistake by considering keeping the Cobra I have lying around for now.
Got a link to that article? I've seen tests that showed the old gt-40/cobra to hold it's own. Of course a lot of consideration would have to be given to the respective combos. I also wonder about how even the flow is between runners on these intakes.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,449 Posts
I would not, the intake is a limiting factor before the heads are. Experienced on a couple of cars where kept the stock intake but changed heads and saw next to no power increase. But have changed just the intakes and kept the stock heads then seen a hefty increase in power. All in boosted cars. Matter of fact I have seen where the stock upper was replaced with a box upper and got a decent power increase even though still with a stock lower and stock heads.
true but more than likely his stock heads have worn parts

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
true but more than likely his stock heads have worn parts
Well yeah, but we could get into a longer discussion about what all is more than likely worn on his old car. That would just lead to saying damn near most of the car should be replaced due to worn parts. If I was really worried about the heads having worn valvetrain but unwilling to replace them then I'd pick an intake that made my power in the low to more so mid range of the power band. Then I'd at least keep my rev's down and hopefully avoid floating my valves but of course nothing will avoid something breaking from age and abuse.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
500rwhp with stock heads is not going to be a walk in the park. Id atleast put on GT40's and Explorer intake.

·
Registered
873 Posts
issue with the stock lower is that the #5 runner dont flow the same as the rest

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.