Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad was following me, and said my car leans a little bit to the left side. ( not much ) How bad is this?

·
Registered
322 Posts
My car also leans left. I found out why recently when I had the wheel off. Although you cant tell driving the the car the first coil of my spring is broken off. From what Ive read this is common. I just bought new springs, but if that is your problem I suppose you could cut the other side to match.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
it is common for the car to be higher on one side, my car is like that, but you can't tell, unless you measure the wheel well height....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Uh........................How much do you weigh?:D

Usually its the right side of the car that sags. Thats the side that catches all the torque.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I first bought my car,(2nd owner since FHP) it was quite a bit lower on driver side. You could really notice it. Now after about 150 dragstrip passes it sits perfectly level. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine used to lean until I got new lower control arms with polyurethane bushings as well as motorsport springs and monroe shocks.I think moving your battery to the trunk over the right rear tire would help also in this.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My 89 GT has the same problem. mine is in the rear though. The front is slightly off because the rear is WAY off! The drivers side rear sits pretty low (fenderlip even with tire almost) and the passenger side has a whopping 3 inches of space between the tire and fenderlip. Looks really bad!!

Maybe it will even out once I install new shocks, struts, LCA's with good bushings. One weird thing ive noticed about the rear of the car..... when the car is on stands and the rear is hanging freely, if I place a jack under the differential cover and start jacking it up, one side starts to go up about an inch before the other side starts to go up. And when I lower it, after one side stops, the other side is still falling about an inch.:confused:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Blk89GT said:
My 89 GT has the same problem. mine is in the rear though. The front is slightly off because the rear is WAY off! The drivers side rear sits pretty low (fenderlip even with tire almost) and the passenger side has a whopping 3 inches of space between the tire and fenderlip. Looks really bad!!

Maybe it will even out once I install new shocks, struts, LCA's with good bushings. One weird thing ive noticed about the rear of the car..... when the car is on stands and the rear is hanging freely, if I place a jack under the differential cover and start jacking it up, one side starts to go up about an inch before the other side starts to go up. And when I lower it, after one side stops, the other side is still falling about an inch.:confused:
I've had this leaning problem exactly as you've described since I bought my car. I am going to fix the bastard come hell or high water because it does look really bad.

The first thing I did was put a new rear end in (mainly because I rebuilt it with 373's but I was also thinking maybe the axles or the control arm perches may have been some how out of wack.) There was no change.

I installed new springs and rear shocks, so I can check that off the list of possible causes.

My next step is to install new upper control arms, which I have sitting on my bench but won't get to until next weekend because it is freezing in PA right now. I think this is going to be it because I've read a few times that the uca's locate the housing in the rear. I'm also going to look at the torque boxes up there (even though I'll probably have no idea what I'm looking at.)

Next up will be lower control arms, which I also have but won't install until after my uppers because I want to figure out exactly what this problem is caused by.

If I still haven't figured it out at that point (which should be the end of next weekend) the car is going to a shop to have battle boxes put in (hoping that the torque boxes are screwed up and I just can't tell by looking.)

And if all else fails, I'm taking the car to a frame straightening shop and letting them figure it out.

If you want me to keep you posted let me know, because I will be figuring this out. There are 5 mustangs around where I live and 3 lean to the driver's side. Once I figure it out I am going to put something on my website about it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a busted rear driver shock on my 84 Thunderbird that made it lean to one side, could see the fluid leaking out of it. Replaced that with cheap crap shocks from Autozone (didn't know any better at the time) and it straightened right up.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Chalk up another that is higher on the pass. side than the driver's in the rear. Pisses me off a lot, most noticeable when I park on a slope. Suspension is 100% stock. Torque boxes looked good too. Strange.

5.0CPA - keep us updated, I'm wondering if the control arms could be the culprit. I've had my car on an alignment rack and the rear was perfect, the body just sits funny.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Boosted Fox: thanks for the info on the Global West spacers - hopefully I won't be needing them, but it is another step I'll have to get this straightened out.

Purple Pony: My pigtails are correct. As a matter of fact, I've had them in the correct way, and various incorrect ways to try to level things out and it was to no avail.

Quickstangs: exact same thing going on over here. The rearend looks like it is shifted to the passenger side - passenger tire sticks out while the driver side tire sits deep in the wheel well. The way I'm thinking is that this has to be control arms/torque boxes as the problem.

Zeus: I'll keep you posted and I will figure this out. When I park on a slope it looks like my car is about to tip over!

5.0SHO: I'm not sure about Thunderbirds, but I don't think the shock has a whole lot to do with the ride height and the orientation of the rear end to the body. I've replaced my shocks just to make sure and it didn't affect anything.

I've read up some more and everything is pointing to the UCA's/bushings in the UCA's/torque boxes.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK GUYS I AM A MORON!!!!!!!!!!

I totally forgot.. HAHAHAH I have an Airbag in my right spring HAHAHAH Thats why it is leaning ( DUH!! )

I was nervous when my dad told me it leans and I totally forgot about the airbag.. Anyway! Atleast some people got some good answers!

·
Registered
92 Posts
5.0CPA said:
Boosted Fox: thanks for the info on the Global West spacers - hopefully I won't be needing them, but it is another step I'll have to get this straightened out.

Purple Pony: My pigtails are correct. As a matter of fact, I've had them in the correct way, and various incorrect ways to try to level things out and it was to no avail.

Quickstangs: exact same thing going on over here. The rearend looks like it is shifted to the passenger side - passenger tire sticks out while the driver side tire sits deep in the wheel well. The way I'm thinking is that this has to be control arms/torque boxes as the problem.

Zeus: I'll keep you posted and I will figure this out. When I park on a slope it looks like my car is about to tip over!

5.0SHO: I'm not sure about Thunderbirds, but I don't think the shock has a whole lot to do with the ride height and the orientation of the rear end to the body. I've replaced my shocks just to make sure and it didn't affect anything.

I've read up some more and everything is pointing to the UCA's/bushings in the UCA's/torque boxes.
CPA keep me posted man. I almost thought about selling my GT because of this. I debating if I want to invest anymore money into it or just use it for a parts car. Let me know if the it was a control arms or torque boxes email me man. I am hoping my car does not have a bent frame. Taking it to a alignment shop to check it out.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
oh man, my car has the lean too, drivers side rear, lip is even with the top of the tire, passenger side, i have 3 in. of clearance

man i want that figured out!

1 - 20 of 319 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.