Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy with a 408 making around 560 HP and he wants to spray it some. He currently using 2 inch hookers. I think with the 106 LSA faily small cam the 1 3/4 be faster n/a in the 1/8, but what about a 200 shot?

·
Old timer
6,647 Posts
Nowhere near enough information to make a call...

🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It weighs around 2800 with driver, 456 gear, victor Jr intake, cam on a 106 seperation angle. Goes 6.40s best in the 1/8 so far, some Victor Jrs ported that only flow 280 cfm max, maybe 190 exhaust, didnt flow the exhaust. Only shift 6500 max and has kinda a tight 4800-5000 Ati, Leaves at 4200 rpms best 60. Just seems the 1/3/4 be alot better N/a for him and his parts and probably run about the same with 2 inch on 150-175 shot. If its faster on then it has a head start on nitrous to run same ET even if looses a tiny bit is my thinking. I was going to lend him some hookers 1 3/4 to try. But he thinks spay the 1 3/4 will kill it . Just like other opinions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd think with nitrous you'd want good exhaust flow.
I agree.

What size collector with the 2” ?
IMO....It might be a tad quicker in the 1/8th with the 1 3/4” N/A. I wouldn’t use them with nitrous especially a higher shot (200). Look at all the head manufacturers that offer nitrous exhaust porting options.
So....If he plans to use nitrous more than N/A, keep the 2”. It’s a 408....it won’t be that noticeable losing a tad down low for alot more up top. Don’t go backwards. But hell try it and tell me what happened. Good luck.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The gains on that motor will be minimal at best in the low end, it will be worse with the nitrous. There has been several tests done on dynos as well as on engine masters that compare things like this. You wouldnt be able to even feel a difference between the two more than likely. I remember (although not identical) a header test done with 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 on a higher powered supercharged motor. The tests confirmed that the power difference was way less than one would of suspected. As it stepped up to the point the cost of the 1 7/8 wouldnt be worth it nor the headache of fitting them.

·
Old timer
6,647 Posts
When using BoobTube celebrity videos are reference material, keep in mind, they never actually build "combinations" that work properly. They take an engine that's been sitting around the dyno room and throw all kinds of free parts they get from various manufacturers on it, do up some fancy camera magic and call it a "test"...

Changing only one "item" and calling it a valid result is bogus. Every component in the engine combination must be matched to obtain the best result.

I find a few of these BoobTube videos entertaining but some are flat out dangerous with their bogus claims.

Whatever....

Those BoobTube videos are done to get clicks and clicks equates to money for the actors and that's why they all do it. It's not to "educate" or enlighten.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When using BoobTube celebrity videos are reference material, keep in mind, they never actually build "combinations" that work properly. They take an engine that's been sitting around the dyno room and throw all kinds of free parts they get from various manufacturers on it, do up some fancy camera magic and call it a "test"...

Changing only one "item" and calling it a valid result is bogus. Every component in the engine combination must be matched to obtain the best result.

I find a few of these BoobTube videos entertaining but some are flat out dangerous with their bogus claims.

Whatever....

Those BoobTube videos are done to get clicks and clicks equates to money for the actors and that's why they all do it. It's not to "educate" or enlighten.
Not to lead this thread another direction, but Im not a fan of how they present the show.
Even though I hate how they are misleading mabey millions of people with their “Results” I cant help but watch a lot of em and shake my head at some of these. Just because it didn’t work on that 200 horsepower junkyard trailblazer motor or your one of a hundred 8.0:1 underwhelmed SBCs, or a stock LS you got lined against the walls, don’t swindle the 90% of idiots who watch the show into running out and buying whatever happened to work or didn’t soon as the shows over. WHY test piston deflection, wrist pin location on a 4500rpm 200hp turd, that octane and timing makes no extra power when your using a 9 to 1 stock LS, or saying water intercoolers are useless over and over and are a waste of money and weight when your running only 8lbs of boost in a controlled temp room. Not all episodes are BS but I hope a lot of people aren’t thinking these guys are god.

But who cares cause everyone’s gettin paid in the end right. The cast, the dyno owner, more publicity & business, more sales of parts everywhere....and maybe even a foot modeling contract for David Freiberger.
GEEZ guys, sell off a few of those typical Chevy’s and put together a radical FORD for once.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It weighs around 2800 with driver, 456 gear, victor Jr intake, cam on a 106 seperation angle. Goes 6.40s best in the 1/8 so far, some Victor Jrs ported that only flow 280 cfm max, maybe 190 exhaust, didnt flow the exhaust. Only shift 6500 max and has kinda a tight 4800-5000 Ati, Leaves at 4200 rpms best 60. Just seems the 1/3/4 be alot better N/a for him and his parts and probably run about the same with 2 inch on 150-175 shot. If its faster on then it has a head start on nitrous to run same ET even if looses a tiny bit is my thinking. I was going to lend him some hookers 1 3/4 to try. But he thinks spay the 1 3/4 will kill it . Just like other opinions.
I don't think it will hurt it on a 200 hit if the tune up and combo is right. few local guys here who have legit pump gas nitrous Windsors in fox bodies with just old mac 1 3/4" long tubes with the ball socket replaced with 3" v bands and full exhausts.. they run in the 5.50s-5.80 range.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I don't think it will hurt it on a 200 hit if the tune up and combo is right. few local guys here who have legit pump gas nitrous Windsors in fox bodies with just old mac 1 3/4" long tubes with the ball socket replaced with 3" v bands and full exhausts.. they run in the 5.50s-5.80 range.
Makes me feel a little better-i have mac's on my N/a windsor making roughly 625ish. Was always thinking i needed to go 1 7/8-doesn't sound like it for the 800 dollar difference unless it's a gain of 2 or more tenth's

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I'm N/A but here goes.

438"w AFR225 ported super victor, methanol injection. Originally had a set of modified Stahl pro gas a-arm headers in 1 3/4x33, 3.25" merge. Primary lengths weren't equal but within an inch of each other. Car ran consistent 5.84-5.86 at 120.

Built new headers over the winter. 2 to 2 1/8 x 29.25, equal length within .125", 3 1/2" true merge. THe choke and cone is supposedly ideal (per pipemax). Car runs consistent 5.77-5.80 at 120 and change. I wanted to use a tri-y style but with the way I wanted the collectors to exit, I couldn't make it happen.

Horsepower there was no or very little difference as noted by the MPH. Mind you I did play with nozzles pills and ignition lead and found little to no improvement. THe faster ET is, IMO, from lighter weight as the new headers are about 8 lb lighter than the old. I have a different tune that I use for index racing and mixing in some pop with the meth, and we'll see if that changes anything when the day comes. The biggest thing I already notice is that the car is quieter inside and the fumes aren't nearly as bad, and that will be a nice feature when I start mxing fuel. The fumes from pop are nasty!

·
Old timer
6,647 Posts
Todd,

You may have jumped up to too big of a size in your primary tubing. :unsure:

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe
1 - 13 of 13 Posts