Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ide like to know the same thing.. I also have a vortech blower, still stock heads/cam/intake though.. soon looking to build a good motor... Im leaning towards edelbrock RPM heads/intake..
and maybe an E cam.. Or Trick flow high ports, track heat intake, E cam.... Im curious.. How do u like the E cam? Does it work ok with the blower? Any idle issues? Ive seen another blown car in person with an E cam, and it ran perfect, just curious to what u think of it..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would go with AFRs....

Best heads available right now

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I wonder how the AFR's stack up against the others in a blown motor... maybe a 331 with 12-14lbs boost... Its all about getting the right combo, not mis matching things.. Eades5.0 is making some nice power with his edelbrock heads/intake with the blower... close to , or atleast 500RWHP

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would say AFR's. Thats what I did, but have put on very few miles with the new heads. I still need to dyno tune the car. There did seem like a big increase in power though. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
an increase over stock heads right? Which head did u go with 165? Which cam are u using... ur combo looks very similar to what im thinking of going with.. just havent seen too many guys with the afr's on a blown motor...post some #'s when u get them, or time slips

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Well with a stock cobra long block (GT40 heads and Cobra intake) with 10lbs from an s-trim I went 12.40s @ 112. I added a new shortblock (actually 302ci) with AFR 185s and E303 cam, 30lb injectors, stock FMU. Same pulley and the cobra intake and went 11.8 @ 119. Adding TFS R intake, 70mm tb, and smaller pulley..and went 11.56 letting out. So in a booted application the AFRs really do a good job.

troy

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
So in a booted application the AFRs really do a good job
this is good... Ide imgine u could benifit with a few more cubes(331)
With an automatic, would i really want such a high rpm intake as the TFS R, though? Or would i be better off with somthing like a track heat, or edel rpm? My plan is to start off with a 331 shortblock stroker, 185cc AFR's
intake still up in the air, and an E cam..pulleyd for maybe 12lbs.. then throw a better tranny in it.. maybe a C4... U think i would be in the 11's with that motor combo, with traction? in a convertible(auto)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm running AFR 165's with the stock cam. Yes the power gain I was talking about was over stock heads. At the same time of the heads install, I put on BBK longtubes, DR. Gas X-pipe, and 1.7 Roller rockers. It will be a while before I get any track or dyno time, but I will deffinatly post when I do. My car probley won't come out of storage until the end of April.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Poostang: Well you won't ever see a stroker in my car...lol (Renegade roots showing here). My next motor will be a 306/308 set-up. For you, just depends on a few things. A TFS Track Heat will probably be fine. The E303 cam is good, despite what people say. I will say this, you need to pick the cam based on your converter, gears, and heads/intake. No telling what your car will run, just have to see when you get to the track.

Troy

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
see thats the thing, im not sure how to match the cam with the motor and transmission... I know the E cam is a nice overall cam that alot of poeple like. I have a buddy that has it in his 94GT, he likes it, seems to sound good, and work good with his 5 spd.
Ive seen a another blown GT and a Cobra, with the E cam, seemed to work great also...
Its just how do i know how it will work with my set-up, kinda deal. Theres just no good motor builders in this area, so its hard to me to go find someone knowledgable to talk motors.. ya know. Its kinda guess work, and it shouldnt be. My dad is pretty smart, but then agian hes an old school chevy guy.. Hes not fimilar with EFI or 5.0 liter EFI's

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well call ed curtis or buddy and get a custom, then you dont have to worry about it.........or call comp theyll tell you specs of their choice then try to find a off the shelf with near specs. Maybe even try a desktop dyno....or better yet ask people with similar set ups and see what they say. good luck!
j-m Cain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts